Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#59597 by Okcsailing
Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:57 pm
Ok so now thinking I need to look into a new video card any recommendations?? :?

The GTS 250 has been good to me. :(
#59599 by Dave
Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am
scottbldr wrote:The following two cards have been recommended to me for a new computer I'm having built to used primarily for CAD, Sketchup and Thea Render:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130794
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-Link-Di ... 714&sr=1-3

I'd look for something with out a fan. The fans have been the thing thats killed all the cards with fans I've had. Can't buy replacement fans 2 to 3 years down the track. Will only buy fanless and mount an extra case fan if I think it's needed.

Dave
#59609 by Nick Pyner
Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 pm
Dave wrote:I'd look for something with out a fan.

Definitely.
If you are games player, you can justify a video card fan in order to impress your mates at school but, if you are a serious hairy-chested DataCad professional, there are other priorities, DataCad doesn't need it, and a fan is just something else to go wrong.

One of those priorities is a quiet computer. This is not hard to achieve these days, but adding a video card fan is not a good way to do it.
Last edited by Nick Pyner on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
#59621 by Okcsailing
Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:16 pm
Well budget minded got me at the EVGA GTX 660ti.

Besides I can save up for hairy chest badge!!! so I can unite :lol:

Then get newer I-7 and stuff when rendering is past learning and at production????? It sounded good right???? :lol:
#59622 by Nick Pyner
Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:23 pm
Okcsailing wrote:Well budget minded

Good idea.

On matters budget, yesterday I actually clicked the above new-egg link and what I saw was simply absurd. At $570, that joke would be about $500 more than you need to pay in order to run DataCad.
#59640 by scottbldr
Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:44 pm
Yep...the video card is more than you need to run DataCAD. For some, like myself, DataCAD is just one of many tools I use on a daily basis. Considering my first rig back in 1997 I purchased cost around $2200 having the best and fastest hardware I can afford is a steal these days.

Robert
#59922 by DRTAIA
Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:52 pm
My question is: The way DataCAD goes about its calculations to run its program, is it better to get a workstation type card or a gaming type card? Its my understanding that the workstation cards use algorithyms that are quicker at CAD type calculations but slower at FPS.

I currently run a Firepro V5800 but I can't say I noticed much difference between the NVIDIA it replaced (about 2 years ago). And workstation cards are more money. I do run 3 moniters but I see that many of the new gaming cards support 3 also.
#59963 by joshhuggins
Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:27 am
The sun shader is probably the main thing that would benefit from a faster video card I would think. I'd dump my money into the fastest processor I could afford for speeding up Datacad. 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge I7 Intel processors are a great bang for your buck these days.