Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#61614 by stephen t.
Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 am
OK, here we go again...digital cameras.
I'm looking for a digital camera to replace the one that was stolen from my office (along with a teapot and toilet paper???).
I've been leaning toward the Nikon D7100. Has anyone had any experience with this camera? I do want flexibility to use different lenses and options for controls-manual focusing is a must.
I'm open to other cameras out there, the Nikon seemed to fit the bill for what I need.
Thanks in advance,

Stephen
#61621 by stephen t.
Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:18 pm
Josh, I like to photograph lots of things-my buildings, other peoples buildings, other people, details, landscapes... lots of stuff.
I do use my point and shoot for site visits, although if I'm documenting an existing structure I would prefer a more flexible camera, i.e. to zoom on roof details, etc.

S
#61629 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:25 pm
Although I can't swap out lenses, I have a Nikon CoolPix P510 that has worked out wonderfully for me - has the heft of an SLR, 16.1mp, can take full HD movies at 1920x1080p (30fps), and 42X optical zoom. It doesn't use AA or AAA batteries so I bought a second rechargeable battery to swap out in case I drain the first.
#61660 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:36 am
That is an impressive camera, and above the price that I would typically consider. I have a Nikon D40X which was roughly $700 at the time. 10MP (only!) and I have had great luck with it. A dSLR is the way to go, especially if it can also do video. (Mine cannot.)

I like the smaller bodied cameras, just for their lower weight and compactness.
#61665 by MtnArch
Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:23 am
I bought it new off of Ebay from a camera dealer that included the extra battery, a bag, a small tripod, lens cleaner, etc. for around $300 which I thought was a fair price. For me it's been the best digital camera I've ever owned, though I've never owned a digital SLR.
#61705 by MtnArch
Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:26 am
Very cool Mark - thanks!