Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#66393 by MtnArch
Tue May 12, 2015 6:21 pm
I bought one too (online for under $59!) and tried it as a replacement for my Logitech Performance MX. I've got fairly big hands and fingers and the Performance fit them nicely.

I didn't get around to programming the buttons but had a hard time adjusting to the G602 - it's a little skinnier and not quite as tall as the MX and I felt like I was forever dragging the heel of my hand over the desk surface. I'm not going to give up on it, but need to get some work done and had to put the MX back into service.
#67038 by MtnArch
Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:26 pm
I received an e-mail from 3DConnexion that they are offering their CadMouse with their mousepad for included for free - you can find it here: https://www.3dconnexion.com/buy/shop/vi ... p/one.html

I won their SpaceMouse Pro Wireless through SketchUcation (really cool for 3D in SketchUp, but will take a little getting used to!) and if that's an indication of their quality and usefulness, their products are WELL worth the cost! I'm ordering the mouse - I'll post back at some time after I receive it as to it's usefulness.
#67063 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:02 pm
The CadMouse showed up today and I'm playing with it tonight (along with trying to work!).

First impressions:
- It's a LARGE mouse. For someone like me with large hands (or for someone with long fingers) it fits fine, but for someone who has small hands it may be too big.
- I keep hitting the "back" switch on the thumb side - maybe my thumb is just too big?
- I'm so used to where the right button is on a "normal" mouse that I keep hitting the middle button on the CadMouse! It will take a while to get used to really using my right ring finger that far over!
- I'm having a hard time getting to the mouse settings to set up any customization on it. I don't know if it's because I installed the 3DMouse first, or if I haven't found the secret handshake to get the settings to come up.
- The wire coming out of the mouse that the USB plug is on is not the normal vinyl-type that everyone else has. This is more of a fabric-covered type which appears to be more durable and flexible than a standard mouse.
- The mouse pad (that came "free" with the special I posted above) looks to be 8"x16" (could be bigger ... haven't really measured it), and is pretty stiff. It is NOT like a standard mouse pad - it seems to be closer to what mouse pads were like back in the mid '90's (not soft and fabric-y). Is it worth the cost if it wasn't "free"? Meh ... probably not, unless someone else is footing the bill.

I'll post more as I play with it some more in the next week.
#67064 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:10 pm
Playing some more with the mouse ...

I'm **SLOWLY** getting used to re-positioning my fingers on the mouse and actually using my right ring-finger for a right click! It feels a little strange to keep my middle finger on the middle button instead of the scroll wheel, but the more I force myself to do it the more natural it feels.
#67065 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:54 pm
Okay ... gotta say that I am REALLY liking having a middle button and a dedicated right button on the mouse! Not sure what I want (or need) to re-assign the thumb "back" button to, but will have to find something that only reacts when I want it to react.

Overall, so far, I think it's well worth the $99 that they are asking, and if you can take advantage of getting their mousepad for "free" (within the $99 for the mouse) it's a nice value.

The only downside for me so far is that I have move the mouse from my laptop to my desktop box (unless I want to spend more money)! My gut guess is that this will be my favorite mouse for cadd'g.

(So make sure you tell 3DConnexion that **I** recommended that you buy it when you order it! I don't think I'll get anything out of it, but you never know! ;-) )

((( ohhh ... and I hope that my musings tonight help you decide whether to pop for it or pass on it. Isn't that what our beloved forum is for ... helping each other out?)))
#67076 by MtnArch
Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:38 pm
Another observation on the mouse pad - because it's hard it's also "slick" compared to what a "fabric" mouse pad is that we're all used to. I had to set up my laptop on my old Mayline drafting table (that I still use for more than just storage!) with the new pad next to it, and the mouse kept slipping down to the bottom!
#67087 by MtnArch
Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:41 pm
Now that I've used my CadMouse for a few days on the laptop I spent the day working at my office on the desktop (that I DIDN'T put the CadMouse on ... yet). Unfortunately I had to spend the day working on BricsCAD (due to project requirements) instead of Dcad, but ....

I really missed using the CadMouse (as much as I love my Logitech mice!) and the mousepad that came with it too! It took me a long-ish day of drafting to get my middle finger used to NOT reaching back for the scroll wheel and it really showed today when I had to re-train it to back to a "normal" mouse.

At this point I have to say that my purchase was well worth the cost and I may have to pop for another so I don't have to drag the first one around!

For this one I give it two thumbs way, WAY up! Now I'll have to see if I can re-assign a couple of the buttons!
#67297 by MtnArch
Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:09 pm
After having used my CadMouse for almost a month, I'm having a hard time switching back and forth. The CadMouse feels so natural to me that I'm having much more trouble using my beloved Logitech mouse at the office because it doesn't have a dedicated middle button! Sigh ... guess I'm buying another CadMouse and pad for the office.
#67607 by MtnArch
Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:05 pm
One big downside that I'm finding with the mouse is the cord - whether I keep it bundled up to save having it all over the place or let it hang out all over, there come times when I need to move the mouse and use both hands for typing and the mouse moves because the cord is so stiff.
#67608 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:30 pm
Herein lies the reason I decided to buy this: Logitech MX Master. I loved my Logitech MX Revolution, but it finally bit the dust after 6 years.
461767-logitech-mx-master-angle.jpg
461767-logitech-mx-master-angle.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 29041 times

Dave
#67609 by jimgoodman
Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:33 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:Herein lies the reason I decided to buy this: Logitech MX Master. I loved my Logitech MX Revolution, but it finally bit the dust after 6 years.
461767-logitech-mx-master-angle.jpg

Dave

Greatest mouse ever!!!!! - I own two.

For road work, check out the companion MX Anywhere - the bluetooth option works without delay of any kind!