Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#64353 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 am
Hello,

I have been using Logitech mice for years, but lately, the buttons have been giving up the ghost too quickly, so I have been search around for a good robust wireless mouse. I looked at gaming mice (because gamers are quite hard on their mice) and while most gaming mice are corded, there are a few newer models that are wireless.

Long story short, I've settled on the Razer Ouroboros (OR-o-bore-os) ambidextrous mouse which can be used wireless or with a cord. The RF receiver is the charging cradle, and it has a single AA rechargeable cell. And this is the weakest piece - the battery life is ~12 hours of continuous heavy (gaming) use, and I will see how long it works out to when used for DataCAD. plugging the cord straight into the mouse lets you chage and keep working, and you can have another AA rechargeable battery ready to go, as well.

The Razer is adjustable in length and the angle of the rear surface can be customized, as well. The sides have 2 sets of different pieces: I use the "wings" which broaden the base and support your thumb and pinky. or you can use non-winged pieces that have rubber grips - these side pieces are held in place with magnets.

Here is my old and new mice side by each:

You save programing profiles (in the cloud). I have a left hand and a right hand profile to set it up for my regular use. I can switch hands to rest my right hand. Tracking speed is set at 2400dpi and full acceleration. The maximum 8200dpi is just stupid-quick, so you really have to drop it for use in DataCAD.

Best thing about the Razer Ouroboros: the scroll wheel does *not* tilt, and the detents are just about perfect to not allow the scrolling to change the zoom while you are snapping.
#64382 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:01 am
I've used the Razer Ouroboros mouse for several days now, and the battery needs to be charged every night. Which is too bad, because the Logitech M705 got several *years* of use from a pair of AA batteries.

But the good news is the cord that comes with the Ouroboros has a braided cover and it is "well behaved" so you can charge the battery while you use the mouse.

I have the rear piece in the middle of 3 positions, and I have it set to the "flattest" angle, and I am finding I have minimal fatigue after a full day of work.
#64414 by Ted B
Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:19 pm
Interesting, that was one of the 'gaming mice' that I looked-at.

You are charging that battery on-the-fly while working typically? Or night-time and off-hours charging in the stand, and only resorting to charging on-the-fly when REALLY busy working?

I love my ancient wireless optical Logitech Pilotmouse(s), But I never did get more than 6-8 weeks out of good-quality AA batteries...and I've been using them for over ten years now at-least. Lately, good std. Energizer AA's have been lasting about 4-wks. I could have replaced my PC for what I have spent on AA-batteries the decade or more.
#64418 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:21 pm
I try to charge it on the cradle, and yes if the battery runs too low, I just move the cord from the cradle to the mouse. The cord has a nice braided jacket, and I almost don't notice it.

My son is probably going to buy the Thermaltake Level 10 M Hybrid, which is $50 less (at ~$90) and the battery lasts a bit longer (~15 hours) and it has a small USB receiver that will work easily with a laptop. It is right hand only, and has more metal in the frame.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826254054

It has a builtin battery and can only be charged with the cord, which is a mixed blessing.

Edit: the Thermaltake Level 10 M Hybrid mouse worked fine for a bit over a month - and then it shut off and cannot be turned on again. Which is a total disappointment. Do NOT buy this mouse.
#64875 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:38 pm
The Thermaltake Level 10 M Hybrid mouse my son got for his gaming laptop worked fine for a bit over a month - and then it shut off and cannot be turned on again. Which is a total disappointment. Do NOT buy this mouse.

He now has a newly revised Logitech gaming mouse that has buttons that are designed for something like 30 Million clicks. All plastic construction, though, so not as hefty or as solid feeling.

My Razer has been doing fine. It has about 12-14 hours of battery life, so charging it every day is more or less required. It is quite comfortable and I typically use it at 1600dpi and some acceleration.
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
#64878 by MtnArch
Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:14 pm
I have (2) Logitech Performance MX mice that I use for my Desktop and Laptop computers, and I LOVE them! I'm on my second set of EnLoop batteries on each, but the mice themselves are going strong!
#65283 by Ted B
Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:17 am
I got so confused about features and wireless battery-life, I decided to temporarily go Old-School and bought a Kensington Pro-Fit wired USB mouse.

I'm still considering the Intuous Pro Touch-Screen 4x6 graphics tablet with stylus. I'll have to see how the Christmas Elves treat me...
#65330 by Paul Nida
Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:48 pm
I use all of the buttons, that is one reason I bought it. I have them programmed for various things in DCAD like paragraph text, etc. The battery life is pretty good, I have two of them, one at home and one here at the office. I can't remember how long I have had them but at least 8 months to a year, maybe longer. And I think I have changed the batteries in the one here at the office once and I never turn it off.
#65331 by Paul Nida
Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:52 pm
BTW, I am not using rechargeable batteries, because I just started using the batteries that came with them. I need to get some new rechargeable batteries my old ones are worn out. But when I did change I didn't have any handy and had to use what I had.
#65342 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:53 pm
The Logitech G602 has 6 thumb buttons:

If I didn't already own my Razer Ouroboros, I think the G602 would be at the top of my list. ~250 hours of battery life is pretty good (though it it had the ~3 YEARS of batter life my previous M705 had ...). The M705 is too delicate (for me anyway) in every day DataCAD use.
#65349 by joshhuggins
Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:07 pm
Have been using a MX 518 for years and love it, but think I want to go back to wireless. I've had a G700s in my Amazon wishlist since Oct 2013 that I haven't pulled the trigger on yet. Gotta watch for a holiday sale I think.