Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#72116 by Mark Bell
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:34 am
Having procrastinated (not that I do that) for some time in switching to Windows 10, I discovered it includes a 3D Builder program which allows solid modelling, apply materials, shadows, 3D editing and a host of other features including export into DataCAD (I used STL format). I/O formats include STL, 3MF, OBJ, PLY and there's a link to send your completed 3D CAD model off and a built model will be posted to you (probably US-only but maybe world wide?). It seems as though the software is geared at encouraging people to created their own 3D printed models which you can order for delivery. Pretty good for small offices that need quick models. I have to say, the interface and ease of using the software to move entities in 3D space and apply materials is done really well.

081717a.jpg

DataCAD parametric sketch model

081717b.jpg

Imported DataCAD STL model which can then apply materials directly from DataCAD material folder or anywhere else, allowing texture scaling, rotating, mirroring etc. in real time,

081717e.jpg

Add some basic 3D solid entities then export back into DataCAD and Sunshader