Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#73941 by Nick Pyner
Mon May 21, 2018 11:24 pm
Well no, not really, but I would like to sing the praises for DWG Fastview by Gstarsoft. I'm surprised how well this little app goes on my cheapo 10.1" tablet. It indeed lives up to its name - fast - both loading and showing. It is quite practical to have several DCad GTVs as DWGs and I think people will get value out of this. Being free makes it run sweeter.

It has some drawing pretensions but, other than clouds, a bit of text etc., I'm not sure there is much value there.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why Beach NSW
Last edited by Nick Pyner on Tue May 22, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
#73942 by joshhuggins
Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 pm
I use Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to my PC at work from my Android phones and tablets. Works great as it lets the workstation do all the heavy lifting in the processing and just pushes the display to the Android devices. Also gives me access to all of my normal resources stored at work. I have also used TeamViewer to do the same.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue May 22, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#73944 by Nick Pyner
Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 am
Ah, now that's interesting...... I have a Windows 8.1 somewhere. This might justify its re-installation.
#74855 by Ted B
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:03 am
Often sitting in my comfy-chair watching golf on TV, ...I'll freehand-sketch ideas on 4x4 graph-paper-pad or in a wire-bound notebook CAD details for a project. Sometimes I'll windup with a stack of them that I then either have to laborously re-draft in Datacad, or sometimes I'll just scan and paste them into the drawing files as-drawn. Sadly, I have yet to find a decent actual CAD-based Android 6.0 app to run on my 10.1" tablet that I can sketch actual CAD details with. Sometimes they're 8.5x11" for full-sized two-to-a-page repro on my 11x17" final drawings, or reduce them to half-scale for more detail-vignettes per 11x17" sheet. I just have to remember to leave margins and print clearly and boldly if the detail is for scanning at half-scale.

Even a stripped-down version of Sketch-up for Android tablets would be useful, though I still rarely use Sketch-up for details or sections.
#74860 by David Porter
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:29 am
I also use DWG Fastview. One of the best DWG viewer programs I have come across.
#75259 by Ted B
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:13 am
If you have a Samsung Android Galaxy tablet, you can get a free app of Autodesk Sketchbook from the Samsung storethat has many of the functions of the paid-app. Not a drafting program per-se, but it's free compared to Photoshop Elements or PS. I think there's also a free app for PC avail., but not as many features ...but it's free.

The Sketchbook for Galaxy is handy for sketching, but I still haven't found a decent CAD drafting app yet for casual comfy-chair detailing...