Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#78007 by Joe Krawiec
Wed May 06, 2020 8:24 am
Hi,
I'm hoping that someone can help/give direction about getting my trackball to be fully functional.

I use a Kensington Wired Expert (Trackball type) mouse (Model K64325 if that helps). There are four buttons that can be programmed - there are 6 possibilities (by using two of the buttons at one time). Three buttons are programmed to what you would expect - left, right, and middle click (no problems with these buttons). In addition, I have one programmed for 'double click' and one programmed for = (obviously to switch back and forth to walls). In other software the double click button works. There is no use for = in other software (although I can get the = to show in a word processor). I have been using this mouse for about 4 years in Dcad, and everything has worked seamlessly. I 'upgraded' to a Windows 10 computer in February. For a period of time, everything was fine. Over the last week or so, neither the double click or = buttons work in Dcad.

I spent about an hour with Kensington support on the phone, and they say that since the mouse works as expected in other programs, the problem is in Dcad. I spoke with Clay at Dcad, and he said that there is nothing in the software that would mess with the mouse - so it isn't Dcad. Here are my questions:

- Is anyone else using a Kensington mouse? Have you been able to custom program the buttons? Is everything working?
- If I'm stuck getting a different mouse, does anyone have any recommendations for trackballs? I looked at the Logitech Ergo - does anyone use this device?
- For those of you that have programmable buttons - what have custom commands have you programmed?

Thanks for any and all help!

Joe Krawiec
Toms River, NJ
#78009 by Neil Blanchard
Wed May 06, 2020 10:14 am
Joe, is there a driver or app that you have to have installed for this to work? My understanding is that the way DataCAD interacts with Windows, is like a game does.

Does Kensington still make this model trackball? If so, is it the same as the one you have, or is there changes?
#78014 by Joe Krawiec
Wed May 06, 2020 1:30 pm
Hi Neil,
I bought this mouse in 8/19 (to replace the same model that I had used for around 3 years or so). It is still available on their website - with the same model number. There is a software app that had to be downloaded and installed. First I used the current version. When I had problems with that, support sent me the prior version but that didn't make a difference.

You know, in the old days, a bad technology day at work meant that you were continuously breaking the point on your pencil and you had to keep resharpening (some had the theory that it was associated with humidity levels, but I don't know). It is easy to miss those days.

Thanks for responding.

Joe
#78021 by Neil Blanchard
Thu May 07, 2020 12:30 pm
Hi Joe,
One more thing to check is in the trackball software, look if the programming buttons have to applied to all programs, or only to specific programs, or to games. DataCAD works within Windows like a game does, so it could be this sort of a thing that could be causing it.
#78025 by Joe Krawiec
Fri May 08, 2020 6:50 am
HI Neil,
I checked the software and the buttons are applied to all programs. I also applied it specifically to dcad, but nothing changed. I guess it's time for another mouse - hopefully that will fix the problem.
Thanks again,
Joe
#78041 by Joe Krawiec
Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 am
Hi,
I thought that some might be interested in knowing how this ended.

After several calls with Kensington support, they were able to show that the mouse was functioning normally. They said that there 'must be some type of conflict with Dcad, and there was nothing that they could do'. I ended up buying a Logitech MX Ergo and it works without any difficulty. I am now going through re-training muscle memory to connect a button to a command. With a couple of months of practice (and aggravation) , this should be pretty automatic.

Thanks,
Joe