Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#10674 by Steve Baldwin
Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:48 am
Hi all.

Does anyone have any recommendations, pro or con, on all-in-one machines, in the $150 or less range ... for home?

I have one that I have had enough of ... an Epson CX5200 ... that is only a couple of years old. I WAS quite happy with it WHEN it worked. I like the scanning part of it, but the printing would mess up if it wasn't used daily, and the ink monitor lied to you about how much ink it still had in the cartridges. I bought a chip resetter that took care of the ink monitor problem, and found that I could tell it that I was replacing the cartridges to force it to recharge the ink, which usually fixed the poor printing. However, this weekend, I could no longer get the printing to work ... still plenty of ink ... but after two hours of recharging, head cleaning, test prints, etc., I finally said I've had enough of it.

I really don't think I will consider another Epson, but depending on the info on the subject, I still might.
#10675 by MtnArch
Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:38 am
Steve -

I have a Canon (F50, I think?) that has been a good machine for us. I bought it about 5 years ago so I'm not sure what Canon has now in your price range. I previously had an HP OfficeJet 610 that was a good machine too.
#10677 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:31 pm
We have had really good luck with the Officejet 6100 series and several of the more smaller personal PSC series. Still using both daily for over 3-5 years with no issues. The PSC are in your price range.
#10680 by Heinrich
Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm
I have a Brother 210C here at the office and at home, our secretary also has one at her home. It's incredibly reliable and simple to operate. We only paid about $90 each for them about 8 months ago. Great machine.

-Redd
#10694 by RPadgett
Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:22 am
I have always been partial to HP machines, I have an HP5100 series that has been doing great for my uses (mainly at home)
#10700 by rogerra
Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:43 am
I recently bought an HP 5610xi for $135 at Costco. It works great.
#10789 by Steve Baldwin
Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:34 pm
Hi all.

Just so you know, the machine I ended up going with is the HP PSC 1610, on sale at Office Max for $124.
#15364 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:35 am
By the way, other than some installation problems that I had to call HP about, I have been happy with my choice of the HP PSC 1610.