Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#31258 by Neil Blanchard
Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:21 pm
Hello Mark,

Well, I got an early gift: a Nikon D40X with the 18-55mm lens. :D I have not used it very much yet, so I'm probably going to hold off spending another $300 on this software. It does support my camera and lens, so maybe I'll try the demo when I have some building photos that need perspective correction.

The RAW (NEF) files are 8.41MB (10MP). I'm just happy to be able to not have JPG's...

Happy Christmas!
#31259 by Nick Pyner
Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:04 am
Neil Blanchard wrote: I have some building photos that need perspective correction.

PaintShopPro handles barrel distortion very well, and also perspective correction. I believe PSP is better than PhotoShop at the former but they are much the same at perspective.

It's Christmas. Have good one.
#31261 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:41 am
Neil Blanchard wrote: I have not used it very much yet, so I'm probably going to hold off spending another $300 on this software.

Hello Neil:

The Standard edition of DxO costs $169 and supports the D40X. This is the version I use with my Sony DSC-F828.

Merry Christmas!

MFM
#31262 by jimgoodman
Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:47 am
I have had the D70 for several years and it never fails to amaze. It takes great pictures dispute my efforts to the contrary :wink: You will enjoy the D40X

Merry Christmas
#31267 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:50 pm
Merry Christmas folks!

I do get to use my old Nikon FM's lens -- the most useful one will be the Tokina 70-200 (IIRC) zoom. It results in a 105-300 effective focal length. My other two (28mm and 50mm Nikkor) both are within the kit lens' range.

I'm going to check out The GIMP -- does anybody know if it "does" barrel and/or perspective correction? (It is free!)
#31268 by Nick Pyner
Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:16 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:The GIMP -- does anybody know if it "does" barrel and/or perspective correction? (It is free!)

I recall from a thread on a photographic forum that it does not, but it is going to cost you nothing to find out.
I nonetheless submit the first thing you should do is consider whether you really need this stuff - and the absurdity of paying $300 for it.
When I got my Olympus 5060, you may recall from previous discussion the main criterion was the 28mm lens. There is some barrel distortion @ wide angle, but you have to loook for it. I have used a software fix, twice, both times just after I got the camera, both times merely vicariously, and I already had the software. I have never bothered to set up the latest version of PSP.
If you feel the professionally-driven need to really fix a real problem, you've got the wrong hardware. The worse the problem, the more true this is, and you will be better off getting a proper lense more suited to the job in the first place. This is not hard to do with a DSLR and it would cost you less than $300.
When I really want really wide wide angle I use a 20mm Krasnogorsk on 35mm film. The edges are as straight as a ruler - a proper lens for the job. Local DCadder Mel admires the 20mm so much he recently got a 14mm Sigma for his Pentax digital. It has much the same coverage, works just as well, and cost about $300.
The Sigma appears to do a great job on film too!

It's Christmas Day - and the surf down the hill beckons........