Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#11331 by Neil Blanchard
Tue May 02, 2006 12:28 pm
Greetings,

I have been using WinXP Pro x64 (64bit Windows) for a few months now, and I have had very few problems -- it runs DataCAD and most programs just fine. But, there are a few outstanding issues that I want to pass along:

The is only one 64bit software firewall program (Tiny) and it is not a "user friendly" program, IMO. Until something better comes along (in a month or so?), I have been using the Windows firewall; which is barely adequate, really.

The only issues with DataCAD are that WinXP Pro x64 "wants" to install DataCAD to the "Program Files (x86)" which is where it puts all 32bit programs -- and DataCAD doesn't "like" it there. The hardlock driver doesn't work, IIRC, and if you force it to install to the regular "Program Files" folder, it works fine.

The other DataCAD issue is printer settings: WinXP Pro x64 constantly "forgets" the settings, and this affects 32bit machines when they open a drawing after you worked on it in 64bit Windows. It's annoying, but not a killer issue.

I was not able to get 64bit printer drivers to one out of the three printers we have here. The DesignJet 500 and the Brother laser combo unit were fine, but the DesignJet 100 Plus still lacks a 64bit driver. Also, an older LinkSys print server could not be used directly; as I had to use it through a printer share on the network.

At home, my old Epson Color Stylus 900 works fine, on a new D-Link print server; printing over the network just like it should.

The only other issue I can think of, is that the Palm Desktop won't install, and so I can't HotSync my Zire 71 using WinXP Pro x64.

I know a few other folks have got 64bit Windows installed -- is there anything else that you have learned?
#11628 by Martell
Thu May 18, 2006 8:09 am
Something that I must learn:
If you got a NForce chipset, and use a RAID, it is impossible to install Windows XP64 from the original disk.
Windows X64 does´t accept the raid drivers.
If you press F6 and select both drivers for the RAID, Windows X64 install them well. If the install routine is over, the coputer restarts permanent.
The only one is to create a own CD with Winlite.
Add the driver to the ISO and burn a disk.
Than Windows 64 works.

Martell
#26798 by gilgmesh
Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:29 pm
Hello Neil,
I have just installed DataCAD-11 on my Dell desktop running XP-pro
x64bit OS. I've forced the installation to go in the proper directory,
but i still get the following error when i try to run the program:
hlvdd.dll missing
any ideas what might be going wrong for me?
thank you very muchly
cheers, gil fuchs

Neil Blanchard wrote:Greetings,

I have been using WinXP Pro x64 (64bit Windows) for a few months now, and I have had very few problems -- it runs DataCAD and most programs just fine. But, there are a few outstanding issues that I want to pass along:

The is only one 64bit software firewall program (Tiny) and it is not a "user friendly" program, IMO. Until something better comes along (in a month or so?), I have been using the Windows firewall; which is barely adequate, really.

The only issues with DataCAD are that WinXP Pro x64 "wants" to install DataCAD to the "Program Files (x86)" which is where it puts all 32bit programs -- and DataCAD doesn't "like" it there. The hardlock driver doesn't work, IIRC, and if you force it to install to the regular "Program Files" folder, it works fine.

The other DataCAD issue is printer settings: WinXP Pro x64 constantly "forgets" the settings, and this affects 32bit machines when they open a drawing after you worked on it in 64bit Windows. It's annoying, but not a killer issue.

I was not able to get 64bit printer drivers to one out of the three printers we have here. The DesignJet 500 and the Brother laser combo unit were fine, but the DesignJet 100 Plus still lacks a 64bit driver. Also, an older LinkSys print server could not be used directly; as I had to use it through a printer share on the network.

At home, my old Epson Color Stylus 900 works fine, on a new D-Link print server; printing over the network just like it should.

The only other issue I can think of, is that the Palm Desktop won't install, and so I can't HotSync my Zire 71 using WinXP Pro x64.

I know a few other folks have got 64bit Windows installed -- is there anything else that you have learned?
#26805 by gilgmesh
Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:57 am
Martell (almost spells hammer in Portuguese, hence a very
appropriate avatar),
thank you so much, your suggestion worked !
thank you
-gil
#26806 by Martell
Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:26 am
Hello Gil,

I never find out that my name is also in portuguese "Hammer"
I know only that is in french, and only in old french, and only with one "m".
It is from Karl Martell, a french commander.
Beats the ottoman 732 near Tour and Poitiers.
So we do not need to pray in Germany five times a day to Mekka :D :D :D
(a joke from my father)

Martell
#26807 by gilgmesh
Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:17 am
that is very funny indeed.

In Portuguese "martelo", who knows maybe it is related to the old
French commander.

keep on hammering and helping, so kindly, to people with
dataCAD weaknesses.

-gil