Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#14318 by artmanvt2000
Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:04 pm
Has anyone tried using a vertical mouse??? I have been told by my physical therapis that I have the beginning stages of extender tenderitis, which been cause by very active index finger clicking. The vertical mice look great for releiving stress from the extender tendon. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
#14321 by Greg Blandin
Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:15 pm
No, but they look like a good idea.
#14334 by Greg Blandin
Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:25 pm
turn it around and you can use it on with your right hand.... :lol: :D
#14335 by Heinrich
Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:31 pm
Man if someone could get use to using their left AND right hand mouse at the same time.....

-Redd
#14338 by Greg Blandin
Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:57 pm
Heinrich wrote:Man if someone could get use to using their left AND right hand mouse at the same time.....

-Redd

aha......this explains that other post.
#14339 by Steve Baldwin
Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:19 pm
Heinrich wrote:Man if someone could get use to using their left AND right hand mouse at the same time.....

I don't use both at the same time, but am a switch mouser in all programs except cad ... Gotta use left hand there (even though I'm right-handed).
#14491 by Tony Blasio
Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:21 pm
I forwarded this Vertical Mice info to our Office Safety person. She is always looking at ergonomics and such to avoid repetitive stress injuries. I was rewarded with an Evoluent Vertical Mouse 2.

Just got it plugged in and am stil experimenting. Hard to explain how it feels at first. It is weird but not strange. A friend said it felt different yet familiar :D

I will report back how I like it. So far I have been using it without issue in DataCAD for a couple of hours. It does have a total of 5 buttons too. 8)
#14495 by Greg Blandin
Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:31 pm
Tony -

I posted about the vertical mouse over at The Swamp and have a few people asking if I know anybody that has used one.

Mind if I quote your post over there?

Thanks

Greg
#14497 by Tony Blasio
Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:47 pm
Greg Blandin wrote:I posted about the vertical mouse over at The Swamp and have a few people asking if I know anybody that has used one.

Mind if I quote your post over there?

Thanks

Greg

I don't mind Greg. Feel Free.
#14514 by Philip Hart
Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:28 pm
This looks very interesting. I would really like to hear feedback from anyone who has tried one. I may be game to be the guinnea pig.
#14515 by Tony Blasio
Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:41 pm
First Full Day of Use Report:

So far it has been easy to use. I will say it does feel different and certain arm muscles are being used that weren't in a normal mouse. I think this should be expected though since it is a different position. I have been able to CAD about 95% normally. If you click hard or too fast you are pushing against the mouse sideways and can scoot it alittle. I think I will adjust to this easily. Also since the weight of your hand isn't pushing down on top of the mouse it glides faster accross the mouse pad too. So far nothing that would make me send it back. I figure in about a week I should be totally used to it and wanting one for home! :D

Another neat feature is that the mouse software will give you reminders to "Take a break and stretch your body". You can turn this ON or OFF as you see fit and set the interval however you want it. Kinda nice, but might get old after awhile.

More later....
#14527 by artmanvt2000
Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:30 pm
I have just received my vertical mouse and I have to agree with Tony. It is very easy to get used to. The hardest thing has been the extra buttons and learning the figure position and trying to figure the best command use for the extra buttons. Currently I have one button to toggle open datacad files and the other opens the layer manager. I have to also agree with Tony about the slight soreness in the arm from using different muscles, but this is just a adjustment period. It moves very easily. There is absolutely no strain on the hand. There is great spacing of the buttons which I have had to retain the hand to use all fingures, unlike my old narrow scroll mouse where I only used two fingures. I will keep every posted on my progress and how the mouse works out.