Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#15047 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:51 am
Greetings,

Does anybody have the new Logitech MX Revolution mouse?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=12134

My question is this: if you have this mouse, have you gotten the (upper) wheel/button to work as Middle Button, so that it snaps in DataCAD?

It seems that this might *not* be possible? I've just spoken with someone on the phone, and we were not able to get it to work...
#15081 by jimgoodman
Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:47 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Greetings,

Does anybody have the new Logitech MX Revolution mouse?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=12134

My question is this: if you have this mouse, have you gotten the (upper) wheel/button to work as Middle Button, so that it snaps in DataCAD?

It seems that this might *not* be possible? I've just spoken with someone on the phone, and we were not able to get it to work...

I purchased one.

I really like the thumb button for middle button snapping. All the recent Logitech models have done away with the thumb button so I was hopeful that the MX Revolution's thumb wheel could be programmed for "middle button". Alas, this is not an option for that button. I was able to program some of the other buttons using the keystroke assignment option and setting it to "N." This of course is the Dcad keyboard command for object snapping.

I am not sure why Logitech would limit the assignment of functions to the various buttons and wheels. It's on my list to send a complaint e-mail.

Other than that, the mouse is very responsive. The ergonomics are not much of an improvement over some of the earlier models.
#15221 by Philip Hart
Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:21 am
Jim

I'm trying to understand this mouse from the photos. Are the buttons that you have programmed for "N" keystroke the small ones above the thumbwheel? Are they a comfortable reach? Do you wind up resting your thumb on the wheel?

I have a now-ancient Logitech MouseMan Wheel with a large, low-set thumb button that I have set for "middle button." I really like this mouse for DataCAD but worry about how much longer it will last and I'm on the lookout for something new.
#15224 by jimgoodman
Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:31 am
The scroll wheel can be moved to the left and right as well as down. I programmed the left and right movements to keystroke "N" which gives me object snapping. These and the other buttons can be programmed individually for each program or globally.

I am with you on the older mice with the thumb button. I am not sure who at the Logitech brain trust decided these were no longer worthwhile. I am hording and protecting my existing stock of mice with the thumb button.

I am getting used to the MX Revolution. It is better than the other MX mice that Logitech has issued over the past year or so.
#21797 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:17 pm
Hello,

We have a solution for this problem, from a post on the DBUG forum:

Greetings,

I use the Logitech MX Revolution, and have programmed the middle mouse button to
work as my snap button using the following options:

In the Setpoint software, you have to click on the Precision Scroll Wheel tab on
the left, and uncheck "Allow Manual Shifting between modes".

With this option unchecked, you can then select the task of the middle button to
"other", then "middle button" function.

I set my mouse up a few months ago, so I hope I didn't forget any other
settings, but my middle button does work for snapping. Previously, I had set up
the small button behind the scroll wheel as my middle button, and that also
worked well in DataCAD for snapping.

IHTH,

Roberto Ramirez, AIA
WRA Architects Inc
www.wraarchitects.com