Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#25318 by adamD
Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:51 am
I am looking into purchasing a new rendering program to work with DataCAD. We have been using Visual Reality, which came with DataCAD 9, for the past 12 years. I have been given the go ahead to test programs to find a replacement.

I still want to model in DataCAD and import it into the rendering program. This is an architecture firm, so being able to update the model or plan is crucial with the 3d illustrations.

I have whittled it down to 3 programs, Lightwave, Vue 6, and Artlantis.

Any thoughts on how these work with DataCAD and if I missed any good programs others use? (and 3dmax is not a choice)
#25320 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:25 am
We use Artlantis R when the need arises...very reasonably priced. It will import DWG files.
It is easy to learn...drag and drop textures, really nice tree and plant objects available.
If your DataCAD models are setup nicely (I'm sure they are... :wink: ) then making changes at a later date is not a problem in Artlantis.
You can import the updated model and have it reference the original.

Also, I just downloaded the demo for Cinema 4D to see how it is.
I have seen some incredible renderings done in this program.
Nothing to report from personal use, though.
#25322 by Michael Olney
Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:18 am
I haven't tried Artlantis, but I have used both Lightwave and Vue 6. I really like using Vue and it is easy to place realistic looking 3D plants. Also with v6, sketchup files can now be imported.
#25323 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:33 am
That Vue looks pretty awesome.
Which version do you use? Esprit? Infinite? There are too many choices.
I really like the atmosphere and the landscaping features...wow.
#28013 by ticomccr
Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:56 am
#28151 by adamD
Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:41 pm
I ended up purchasing Vue 6 Infinite and am loving its realism. Still working out some bugs, but within the first week, I have already produced 2 paying models that look pretty good. Putting it to work right away, nothing better than learning on the fly, with the pressure to boot.

Now, once I get the hang of it, total time to get a better image should be at least cut in half. Now thats good business.

Thanks for everyones suggestions and comments.
#28229 by DRTAIA
Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:27 pm
I use Artlantis and and find it fast and flexible - and what a jump in features, quality and time savings over VR!