Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#25318 by adamD
Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:51 am
I am looking into purchasing a new rendering program to work with DataCAD. We have been using Visual Reality, which came with DataCAD 9, for the past 12 years. I have been given the go ahead to test programs to find a replacement.

I still want to model in DataCAD and import it into the rendering program. This is an architecture firm, so being able to update the model or plan is crucial with the 3d illustrations.

I have whittled it down to 3 programs, Lightwave, Vue 6, and Artlantis.

Any thoughts on how these work with DataCAD and if I missed any good programs others use? (and 3dmax is not a choice)
#25320 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:25 am
We use Artlantis R when the need arises...very reasonably priced. It will import DWG files.
It is easy to learn...drag and drop textures, really nice tree and plant objects available.
If your DataCAD models are setup nicely (I'm sure they are... :wink: ) then making changes at a later date is not a problem in Artlantis.
You can import the updated model and have it reference the original.

http://www.artlantis.com/products/artlantisR/

Also, I just downloaded the demo for Cinema 4D to see how it is.
I have seen some incredible renderings done in this program.
Nothing to report from personal use, though.
#25322 by Michael Olney
Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:18 am
I haven't tried Artlantis, but I have used both Lightwave and Vue 6. I really like using Vue and it is easy to place realistic looking 3D plants. Also with v6, sketchup files can now be imported.
#25323 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:33 am
That Vue looks pretty awesome.
Which version do you use? Esprit? Infinite? There are too many choices.
I really like the atmosphere and the landscaping features...wow.
#25324 by adamD
Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:06 pm
That Vue looks pretty awesome.
Which version do you use? Esprit? Infinite? There are too many choices.
I really like the atmosphere and the landscaping features...wow.

I am testing the program with the learning editions right now.

I am looking at Vue 6 infinite
Vue 6 xStream is like infinte but it integrates with other programs like Lightwave, 3d max, etc
Vue 6 Espirt is the basic renderer like infinte, but with much less abilities

It seems to work well with my 3d datacad models and it seems very powerful without doing a lot of work.
#25328 by Michael Olney
Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:31 pm
I use Vue 6 Infinite. Like Adam mentioned, it has a lot more features than the Espirit version. They do have a comparison chart and you can choose to specify only the differences. I just wish that textures could be exported with the model from DataCAD.
#25334 by Nick Pyner
Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:00 am
adamD wrote: We have been using Visual Reality, which came with DataCAD 9, for the past 12 years. I have been given the go ahead to test programs to find a replacement.

So why a replacement? I have been happily using it since DCad6 but I'm beginning to wonder if I have just been lucky and I am now beginning to doubt its perspective maths. I use it for photo montages and have had trouble before with properly relating the model to the environment, but suddenly, the last two jobs have been very suss and I had to squeeze one picture laterally to fit properly. That should not happen.

Is anybody else complaining? or can assert that an alternative is 100% kosher in the perspective maths?
#25365 by Stefan Stanowski
Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:56 am
Hi Adam,
try http://www.caligari.com/
I use for renderings trueSpace, it is reasnably priced, does everything I need (and much more), works with DataCAD (but through DXF). The newest version works with DWG and other formats too, and the quality of renderings can be just unbeliveable. Just have a look there. It costs much less than 3D Studio and does the same work.
Cheers
Stefan Stanowski
#28013 by ticomccr
Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:56 am
Michael Olney wrote:I use Vue 6 Infinite. Like Adam mentioned, it has a lot more features than the Espirit version. They do have a comparison chart and you can choose to specify only the differences. I just wish that textures could be exported with the model from DataCAD.

I don't know if you already know this as this was posted some time ago now, but DC12 can now export 3ds files and it takes all of the materials with it. It imports into Vue 6 Infinite with the materials, but they do sometimes require a little tweaking.

DC 12 and Vue 6 Infinite have been working really well together for me. There are so many things that you can do with Vue that it is quite staggering sometimes. But I have been able to get some really great results in with very little time invested in learning the program, even though I have really just scratched the surface of it.
#28151 by adamD
Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:41 pm
I ended up purchasing Vue 6 Infinite and am loving its realism. Still working out some bugs, but within the first week, I have already produced 2 paying models that look pretty good. Putting it to work right away, nothing better than learning on the fly, with the pressure to boot.

Now, once I get the hang of it, total time to get a better image should be at least cut in half. Now thats good business.

Thanks for everyones suggestions and comments.
#28229 by DRTAIA
Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:27 pm
I use Artlantis and and find it fast and flexible - and what a jump in features, quality and time savings over VR!
#32474 by adamD
Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:58 pm
Update on the Vue 6 infinite Purchase.

Loving the new program, working out the bugs. As a program that I am using with DataCAD 12, I found that sometimes the DXF export doesn't work well, but the 3ds version works every time. Only drawback to the 3ds export, is that you lose your layer names. When the DXF works, that is the best way to export and import into Vue.

I would recommend Vue 6 for DataCAD 3d users looking for easy realism for their projects. It is also the best program out there for landscaping, too bad it doesnt come with a whole bunch of preloaded objects, but there are some available for cheap.