Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#29216 by wtango
Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:39 am
Hello. I'd like to get someadvice about the different requirements or benefits from a true server vs. a PC with XP that's just acting as sort of a file repository.

Our office is looking to purchase a new File Server. Currently we're using a peer to peer network to access a very old Pentium II machine with a big hard drive that is used to store all our working files. All 8 workstations access files on this "Server". Our network switch was recently upgraded to Gigabit capability, but file performance seems to be slowed by the current "server", so we're going to upgrade.

One option for the new "server" machine is to go with a Dell Server with Windows Server 2003 software. Another option is to get a Dell Precision Workstation and use it as the file server.

Since we only have about 8 CAD users in the office, is there any real advantage to using a true server?

Also, would there be an advantage to having the processor of the file server Dual or Quad Core?
#29220 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:05 am
Greetings Christopher,

I am working in an office that has a Windows 2003 Server, and I am not impressed. We have to have an IT person on call, for when things need changing.

I would stick with peer-to-peer, or possibly get a good NAS (network attached storage) device. These are essentially Linux servers, often with four hard drives in a RAID 5 array, and they are really easy to manage (with a browser interface), and they act just like peer-to-peer -- but can have up to 256 users! Windows peer-to-peer and servers are much more limited and/or cost a lot more.

Some NAS devices cost just $500-1,000 and have 400GB-1TB of storage. A Windows Server license costs about this much all by itself, and you still have to have a full-fledged computer to run it on -- and you'll likely need to hire an IT consultant to set it up and run it. In addition, all the client machine have to have a Pro version of Windows...
#29243 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:07 pm
Like Neil says if your not wanting to do anything other than access files across a network, a NAS storage devices is the way to go. Businesses that use a product like Windows Server usually have many other software apps that plug into the server core OS such as Exchange mail servers, VOIP servers, firewall & client PC management. Or they have too much money :wink: And it is best to have a full time IT person to manage the server, apps & client systems as it is a full time job usually. If you only have a few systems and no major corporate applications or needs there is no reason to have a domain and go with a workgroup(s). If you have more Windows systems than is allowed on a workgroup, but still don't need a full Windows Server but need a domain to allow more Windows systems to access each other, you might want to look to a simple freeware Linux type server or something, but that's beyond me. Using multiple workgroups with permissions on XP Pro is another way to work around the user limits. Good luck :D
#29268 by wtango
Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:37 pm
Good info. I hadn't considered a NAS before, but definitely will look into it. Thanks to both of you.
#29297 by jimgoodman
Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:15 am
We have been using Snap Servers, made by Adaptec, for several years now and they have are very simple to setup and maintain. We have backup servers that are synchronized and I take one of them home with me every night. It doubles as an off-site backup as well as a portable server for my home or mobileoffice. A simple 250 gb model runs around $500.00 now. We paid that much for our first 20 gb model several years back.
#29306 by RPadgett
Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:34 am
I installed a program call freenas on an old computer at home, and have been using it for backups, media files etc. You may consider that.

http://www.freenas.org/
#29336 by wtango
Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:46 pm
For those of you using NAS devices- do you use them to keep your library of templates and symbols in addition to your data/drawing files?

One requirement or desire for the new "server" that I forgot to mention is that our office would like to keep one shared library of templates, symbols, and other common files used by Datacad (and in our case Spirit) on the office server. That way there are no conflicts when users open each others' drawings.
#29339 by joshhuggins
Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:14 pm
wtango wrote:For those of you using NAS devices- do you use them to keep your library of templates and symbols in addition to your data/drawing files?

One requirement or desire for the new "server" that I forgot to mention is that our office would like to keep one shared library of templates, symbols, and other common files used by Datacad (and in our case Spirit) on the office server. That way there are no conflicts when users open each others' drawings.
Yup, and on v.12 there many new resources you can share over the network. It's very handy indeed.
#30286 by wtango
Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:01 am
OK, this is great advice, and we are starting to lean toward a NAS.

Couple more questions before we dive in (sorry to be so wishy washy, but we want to be absolutely sure that we get something that will work well.)

1. Would the NAS have a problem with users working from their PC's on files that are kept on the NAS using Datacad/Spirit/Sketchup, etc? This is how we operate now- we don't have CAD files on user's pc's, they are all on our file "server". (Although the temp, and autosave files are on our individual machines).

2. Can a backup program be set up on a NAS (like Second Copy) to go out across our network and pull items from users' PC's - I'm thinking of Outlook Contacts, Business Email, etc.- and store a copy on the NAS?
#32818 by wtango
Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:15 pm
Update-

We bought a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+. Have been running it for 1 month +, no problems at all.

Here's a great online guide:
http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/re ... vplus1.htm

It does backup with Second Copy, and/or its own proprietary backup utility.

Very economical alternative for a file server, highly recommend looking into this option.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

-C