Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#32936 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:01 pm
Hello,

You shouldn't need to spend that much -- unless you want to. If you do get one with a mouse, then there are over 100 available on NewEgg.com -- if you get one with just the keyboard, there is just three (2 RF and 1 Bluetooth). Here's the only one that is a full keyboard, under $100:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823330005

I would get the simplest one you can find. I had a Logitech (that came with a nice wireless mouse for ~$70), and the keyboard had a clock/calendar with a small display -- and it chewed through 4 AA (high capacity rechargeable NiMH) in less than 2 weeks. And when I changed the batteries, it lost the date and time, so needless to say, it was less than ideal. As a keyboard, it was fine: good key feel and nice layout; save the small function keys.
#32945 by apxitekt
Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:58 pm
I am afraid that there may be a conflict between a mouse that comes w/ keyboard and my existing mouse, logitech ms 610, which I like. They are used for Dcad 99%, no games, no music, no frills. I tried Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 4000, and sure enough, there was a conflict.
#32949 by Nick Pyner
Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:09 pm
apxitekt wrote:I'm looking for a "cordless keyboard", without a mouse, under $100 - any suggestions? [/b]

Well, seeing as you are asking for suggestions, I submit the best and shortest suggestion you are going to get is, don't do it.

These things are for gamers and consumers, not for professionals.

I have a quite upmarket Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo. The keyboard has all the fruit except for the three green lights. They are on the transmitter. Don't ask which moron came up with that momentous technological breakthrough. The time you find out how often you look at the lights, is when you can't see them. I quite liked the keyboard at first but it became clear that the signals were not getting through consistently and I had to correct typos too often.

The mouse had initial promise as the best Microsoft mouse made at this time. It isn't. You have to use both hands and both feet to press the middle button. It is useless for DataCad.

The best reason for not getting wireless is that they can leave you with your pants down in an emergency. To make matters worse, the time you find this out is when you are actually IN and emergency. You can be sure Bill Gates isn't going to tell you this beforehand. In his world, there aren't any emergencies. A case in point is where a disk image restore is required and DriveImage or whatever drops out of XP to DOS.

Result?
No mouse, no keyboard.

A clean Windows install will probably give you the same strife but I'm not sure of that i.e. you need to install the drivers manually before it/they will work.

So, before you take this tack, take a reality check first. Do you need this gear, or is it just some conception of cool? If you get it, research how to properly use it, and for chrissakes don't throw your old stuff away.
Last edited by Nick Pyner on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#32950 by Dick Eades
Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:09 pm
I had a wireless keyboard/mouse combo from Logitech that I bought with a desktop computer that is now 5 yrs old. The computer has been donated to my son's friend but the keyboard and mouse are still working fine at another computer. Never had a minute's problem with them.