Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#34511 by Joe Krawiec
Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:16 pm
Hi,
I have been very happily using my Microsoft Trackball Explorer 1.0 mouse for years. (Thanks Neil - I thing it was you that suggested it a long time ago.) Sadly, it seems like time for a replacement. The ball grabs, and despite cleaning and spraying with a little lubricant, it doesn’t seem possible to fix. It is becoming tiresome. This mouse is not made any longer, and the only replacements that I could find were in Ebay. Used, they seem to go for about $150, and new for a little over $200!!! This just isn’t right.

The only trackball that seems to provide both the scroll wheel and the four buttons that I am used to is the Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman. New, the sells for about $60. Is anyone using this mouse for Dcad? Does anyone have any suggestions for alternates? I prefer not to get a cordless mouse - it seems pointless for a trackball.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe Krawiec
South Plainfield, NJ
#35915 by Joe Krawiec
Mon May 12, 2008 7:37 am
Hi,
I ended up purchasing the Logitech Trackman, and I though that some might like to know how it worked out.
The good
- Battery life is quite surprising. After about 3 weeks of use for (maybe) 12 hour days, the batteries are working fine wihout issue.
- Mouse installation was simple.
- It works like a trackball mouse. What else could you ask for?
The bad
- The layout of the buttons just isn't as intuitive to me as the old Microsoft mouse. It has been very hard to get used to the button location. I guess it's just a matter of old dogs and new tricks.
- The mouse buttons are slightly harder to depress. I guess it's time to get back to the gym.
- I can't figure it out, but I seem to miss object snaps and/or buttons when working. I don't know if it's the mouse, something somehow different in how close I have to be to the snap, or that I am moving the ball a little when I hit the button.
The ugly
- I replaced the mouse and my keyboard at the same time. Big mistake to change all the parts of the computer that you touch at the same time.

Joe Krawiec
#35934 by artmanvt2000
Mon May 12, 2008 12:24 pm
I went to a physical therapist for issues with my wrist and he told me to never you a track ball for extended use. The extend use of the fingers moving/spinning the ball is not good for the muscles and tendons in your forearm. I hope this helps. I purchased a vertical mouse from evoluent and it has helped my wrist.