Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#38469 by bgttu
Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:15 pm
Yawl,

My mobo doesn't seem to have a 2nd place to plug in a parallel port for my plotter. Not even on the diagram. (ASUS A7N8X) Tain't no fun gittin' down thar & changin' cables.

In the 80's & early 90's we used an AB printer switch between printers & plotters. I'll do that if I HAVE to. If I recall correcftly, most of you folks don't recommend AB switches.

What's the CheapTrick resolution? No network here. other than a Linsys Wireless-N Router. My old HP LaserJet Series II printer (that's right .. still kickin') & my HP DesignJet 330 Plotter neither have USB capabilities unless an adapter exists.

What do YAWL do?
#38470 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:29 pm
Hi Brent:

Sounds like ya need a USB to Centronics (parallel) adapter cable. Perhaps something like this.

Regards,
Dave
#38504 by bgttu
Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:50 pm
Dave,

Thanks. I'm going to try a free parallel pci card from a Dcader 1st. If that doesn't work ... and it should, unless MR. IRQ jumps in & objects ... then your suggestion would be the best solution ... & might I add ... the next cheapest.

I compared your find to BestBuy's expensive cable. That only eliminates the original parallel cable from the printer or plotter to the pc.
#38547 by bgttu
Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 pm
Dave,

Do you know which method would be faster ... pci card or USB?
#38551 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:09 pm
bgttu wrote:Dave,

Do you know which method would be faster ... pci card or USB?
Depends on the implementation of each type. If you have specific devices in mind post their model numbers here and we can take a look.
#38552 by bgttu
Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:21 pm
Josh,

HP LaserJet Series II printer. (presently on the mobo parallel port)

HP DesignJet 330 plotter. Going to try a SIIG CyberParallel Dual v1.0 pci card. If that doesn't work or is too slow, I'll try Dave Giesselman's suggestion, the USB to Centronics (parallel) adapter cable.

Did that answer your question?
#38553 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:15 pm
Brent:

bgttu wrote:... I'll try Dave Giesselman's suggestion ...

Boy, ya leave the forum for a bit and you get all formal on us. I'm known here as Dave, no last name required. :wink:

Drop me an email or a PM here on the Forum if I can help in any way. I'm somewhat familiar with antiquated hardware (being somewhat antiquated myself) and may be of some assistance.

Regards,
Dave
#38554 by bgttu
Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:33 pm
Thanks, Dave. I'm just accustomed to spelling my last name for at least 1 person almost every day. I look close & spell yours correctly.

Your help is appreciated. We've all learned to replace pc parts (since the mid 80's) & eventually build the pc boxes. Neil & others are helping me with other issues. (See "Less than 75th percentile pc" in the Product Review section). Dick Eads & Larry Kim are also helping out.

Between this forum & the DBug forum, I spend less money & burn less gasoline.

Can we claim this is a Green Site?
#38557 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:28 pm
Hey Brent:

you wrote:... I'm just accustomed to spelling my last name for at least 1 person almost every day.

I hear ya and know the feeling! But, at least on this forum, my last name is not important. :wink:

Take care,
Dave (just Dave)
#44263 by GuyS
Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:24 am
bgttu

I had the same problem with my new mobo...no parallel port. My HP DesignJet 220 that I purchased around 1994 was still going strong but didn't have a USB port.
I went through many headaches with parallel cards, parallel to USB adapters and never found anything that would work consistently. It was a nightmare because those devices would all of a sudden stop working at the most inappropriate time.
Then one of my Goggle searches found someone selling their HP 220 plotter "complete with a "HP Jetdirect 170X External Print Server". Voila! been using that for a year now and have the bonus of being able to print from any of the three computers on my network. There are lots on Ebay. They are extremely easy to set up "just connect to your router" install the software and bingo...problems gone.
If you need anymore help or info on this just call me at 604-590-8499