Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#41187 by Ernie Bayles
Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:42 am
I have an opportunity to get a 650C for about $700. I have an ancient 250C that has been very good to me over the years, but is getting a bit cranky in her older years, and I expect the next trip to the shop may be her last. Alternatively, I could spend up to 3k on a new machine. Anyone have any thoughts?

TIA Ernie
#41191 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:59 am
Hi Ernie,

What flavor of Windows are you running, and is there a driver for the 650C for it? The ink costs are another aspect that you might want to look into. I would recommend the big Canon plotters as a less expensive and much faster alternative to the HP offerings.
#41207 by Ernie Bayles
Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:38 am
Thanks for your thoughts Neil, I have W2000 and can easily get consumables. Hard to guess what the relative costs of prints would be. I'd be interested in hearing what other people are using in the small office environment (+/- 20 plots/week).

Ernie
#41215 by Philip Hart
Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:23 pm
Before buying it, I would check with a local HP authorized service provider. The 650C is a terrific plotter but I believe that HP no longer supplies parts for it.

We have a DesignJet 700 which is essentially a 650C without the color. We have been told that some critical parts for it are no longer available. We'll keep on using it until it dies.
#41598 by artmanvt2000
Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:10 pm
I have to agree with Philip. When we traded in our 650c about six years ago, they told us HP was not making any more parts for the 650c.

How wide do you need to print? HP has a "small" color(?) inkjet plotter (24" roll), that can even be put on a desk, and is only a little over $1000, brand new. I have thought of getting one for home use.
#41601 by Ernie Bayles
Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:54 pm
The guy selling the 650 really wants too much money. I think I am of a mind to get something new. No sense in buying up someone else's problems. Anyone using one of these smaller units? I need to be able to do 24x36.

Thanks

Ernie
#41603 by MtnArch
Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:01 pm
I have an HP 450C that has been going strong for me for almost 9 years now. I've replaced the belt once - no other service needed. Of course, I haven't done tons of plotting on it, either, over the years - probably averaged maybe 15~20 plots a week at best. I bought the 24" carriage, figuring that I'd rather not deal with 30x42's - though sometimes I wish I had bought the bigger carriage so I was plotting a 36" wide swath instead of only 24".

While you can't go wrong with an HP, I would seriously consider a Canon since their specs look so good.

I haven't played with any newer units beyond the 1050 series.
#41604 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:05 pm
Hi Ernie,

You probably want to have a machine with a roll feed -- loading individual sheets, or buying large format paper is a pain. I'd look at the Canon plotters, for much better value and faster speeds than the low cost HP's.