Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#41193 by scottr303
Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:25 pm
Hi:

I have started seriously thinking about a smart phone and have been looking at the Sprint HTC Touch Pro. Is anyone using this phone? Or, are there phones out there you really like?
#41197 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:07 pm
Hi Scott,

I'm using a Palm Treo 700P, and it is useful; though I wish it had the old "Graffiti" touch pad, rather than the tiny QWERTY keyboard. My service provider is Verizon, and I do not get the data service, because it would cost me $45/month.

Someone here in the office uses a Helio and likes it:

http://www.helio.com/

I know someone who uses a Gphone and likes it a lot, as well; but he may end up with an iPhone before too long.

My next smartphone will probably be an iPhone; since it is an excellent device, and because I have recently started using Mac's again (now that I can run DataCAD).
#41199 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:11 pm
I have the iPhone and its just freaking awesome...I love it, love it, love it.
I have a friend who has and loves the Google Phone.
#41200 by Philip Hart
Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:53 pm
My office has Motorola Q's - Windows Mobile with Verizon service. They have worked well for our purposes. Once set up correctly, they synch with our Exchange Server for email, contacts, and calendar. We can read .doc, .xls, .pdf files on them. Google Maps, etc. is cool to have - newer phones with GPS make the whole mapping thing very cool.

The best thing about the Q is that it has a qwerty keyboard with good tactile feedback buttons - great for email.

We're up for renewal of our contract in May and we'll probably switch to something else as Motorola hasn't kept up with the iphone, etc. Synching with Outlook will be the big deal for us.
#41201 by jimgoodman
Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 pm
I recently replaced a Treo 700w with the new Blackberry Storm through Verizon. The Storm is spectacular, especially compared to the 700w, and matches up very well with the IPhone feature set for a lot less initial cost (+/=$200)and no need to switch providers. I have enterprise service through Mailstreet and am very pleased.

I am not sure what the current pricing is but I purchased mine through Best Buy since the price included an instant rebate instead of the mail-in rebate if purchased through Verizon.
#41270 by Dick Eades
Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:55 pm
Like Ben, I'm using the iPhone and it's fantastic. I think your provider has more to say about which smart phone you are going to have than you do. I would liked to have tried the HTC Touch and the Android phones but AT&T doesn't support them since they are dedicated to the success of the iPhone.
#43692 by Brian Engebretson
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:16 pm
Since it’s been about 6 months since this discussion, I thought I’d bump it and see if there are any new opinions for smart phones. I’m nearing the end of my contract and I’m leaning toward getting the iPhone 3Gs, but wanted to hear if anyone has good things to say about the Pre or other current crop of phones.

Thanks!
#43693 by Dick Eades
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:27 pm
The iPhone 3Gs is way ahead of everything else. You can't go wrong on getting that one. My only complaint about the iPhone 3G is that I am paying for a 3G data plan in an area that isn't served by a 3G network. Here we're still on Edge. It's better now under the 3.0 software but it still doesn't hold a candle to the 3G speed I get when I'm in a big city.

My brother has an HTC touch diamond supplied by his company and curses it. When he has a WiFi connection he uses his iPod Touch to get and send his email and leaves the HTC for phone duty. The iPhone combines the best of both.