Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#42809 by CADPLAN
Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:43 pm
Any recomendations for a 24" plotter that will work with both Vist Ult. and XP Pro? I have a HP 430 that works fine with my XP Pr0 32 bit computer but my Vista Ult 64 Bit says that it is unavailable. I want to upgrade to color plotting and I also need to replace my XP Pro 32 bit computer. So, what do I do? Just try to find a new computer running XP Pro 64 bit. I'd realy like to just go all Vista Ult. if I can plot from both. Hope this isn't too confusing! Any Ideas :?: Thanks in advance, Tom
#42835 by MtnArch
Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:54 pm
I have my 450C hung off of my XP box (and shared ... natch!), and I don't have any problems plotting from my Vista 64 Home Premium laptop.

How do you have your plotter set up? Via a JetDirect, hung off of another computer, or ...?
#42836 by CADPLAN
Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:33 pm
Hi Alan,

I just have it shared from my older XP Pro computer. My Vista Alt computer set it up OK but I get a message telling me that it is not available. I know it is on and I can plot from the XP. I am using a wireless print server with the 430 plugged in the parallel port of the server. Probably all wrong :oops: I hope I don't need a jetdirect but maybe I do. Exactly how is yours set up.

Thanks, Tom
#42841 by MtnArch
Fri May 01, 2009 1:42 pm
I don't have a print server set up - it is hard-wired directly to the XP box via the parallel port and then simply shared over my wireless network. I didn't have time to set up anything else, and haven't had time to try and sort out anything else!

Not sure if this helps you, Tom, but good luck!
#42843 by CADPLAN
Fri May 01, 2009 7:14 pm
Thanks Alan.

I am encouraged that at least if you can do it I should be able to but I'll have to find the hangup. I am looking at maybe a higher resolution color plotter for plotting rendered 3d models. I am having some sucess with the Smart Walls etc. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Regards, Tom
#42844 by MtnArch
Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 pm
Tom -

I wasn't sure how much my comments were worth to you, but at least you're encouraged - which I'm glad of! Good luck, and let us all know how it works out!