Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#44552 by artmanvt2000
Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:07 pm
Let this be a warning to all. I just updated to Sketchup 7.1 and coming to find out you can't import dwg files any more with the free version. I unistalled 7.1 and am migrating back to 7.0. We use the dwg import for importing site plans, floor plans and even elevations.
#44553 by Ben at TJB Architects
Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:25 pm
The improvements look good, though.
Good reason to keep a Pro version on hand?
I bought it years ago so I have just kept up the license...plus I like the Layout and exporting to renderers like Artlantis.
Wish DataCAD had something almost exactly like it...the Layout program, I mean.
#44558 by MtnArch
Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 pm
I had heard that they were going to do this - but there is supposed to be a separate download for the Free users that will re-enable the DWG/DXF import ability. The Sketchucation.com forums had brought this up - with much wailing and knashing of teeth from the Free users!
#44568 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:06 pm
Here's the link for downloading the DWG/DXF plugin for SUFree V7.1:
http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/ ... wer=161784

From what I've read, Google will support the DWG/DXF through the SUFree V7 cycle but NOT once they release V8. You'll have to upgrade into Pro V8 to have the DWG/DXF function at that point.
#44569 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:46 pm
No More DWG/DXF? Ouch. Makes the Datacad Cash for Clunkers program look even better with Datacad's v.12 Export/Import of Sketch Up files!
#44571 by Robert Scott
Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:20 pm
Did I miss something...DC12 can import/export SU 7 files?

SU 7.1 is a nice free update....the speed has really improved.

I think the elimination of DWG/DXF import is an attempt by Google to give the free users a reason to update...sounds like a good business plan to me as a majority of users that require that are using the software commercially.

I've owned a SU license since the "At Last" days and have found both "AL" and Google to be more than generous with their freebies.

Well worth my initial investment and upgrades.

Robert
#44572 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:45 pm
I've been a "paid" SU user since the V3 @Last days, and have never regreted it either!

I think Google has done a nice thing for the Free users with extending their usability with the DWG/DXF plug-in for V7.1, but I agree that they seem to be shouting to the mountaintops that you'd better upgrade to V8 or lose this capability.

That said, I think there may be a backlash from the V6/Free V7 users who refuse to upgrade (for whatever reason) to V8 Pro. My gut feeling: those of us who have been a Pro user will remain loyal and continue with our paid upgrades, while the Free users will stop at V7.
#44575 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:24 pm
No DC12 doesn't support importing SU7, but being able use Datacad 12 as a middle man to import newer versions of DWG files, and being able to export it out to SKP files for use in newer versions of SU is nice.

It's just weird to remove a feature that has been a part of a free version pretty much since it's beginnings. Besides all it takes is keeping an install of an older version of Sketchup to do the import of most older versions of DWG's, and then import that into Sketchup. Woo with new features to get the upgraders, not remove existing basic features. It's a weak upgrade scheme IMO.
#44576 by Robert Scott
Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:12 pm
Google has a plug in to cover free users on V7.1

I suppose an alternate to having no DWG/DXF import on V8 would be no free version :)
#44620 by artmanvt2000
Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:45 pm
Thanks for the information everyone. Was unaware that there was a plug in for 7.1.