Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#1732 by artmanvt2000
Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:30 pm
I can see why the eight button mouse is such a time saver. It is almost like having the old digitizer boards. I could see a big advantage to setting a button to toggle between files. I find my self switching between a floor plan file and elevation file all the time. Thank you so much for the great review George, it makes me want to drop $80 to get one too.
#1733 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:15 pm
Hi Arthur:

I have one, too, and I like it a lot. However, I think that only 5 or maybe 6 of the buttons are really practical to use -- but that still affords some cool custom setups. :D

I don't remember if George mentions the mouse pad -- I have found that a purpose-made optical mouse pad is a good thing to have: you'll get better tracking (and this is the strong point of this mouse!) and the batteries will last longer; since the laser doesn't have to shine as brightly in order to "see" the surface.
#1734 by artmanvt2000
Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:18 pm
Neil,
Thanks a lot for the info, I had never heard of the optical mouse pad. I am looking at maybe getting the corded version which is $30 cheaper.
#1736 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:25 pm
Hi Arthur:

Oh, you should at least look at the cordless version -- a mouse without a cord is a wonderful thing! And the batteries last me at least 2 weeks -- they are rechargable, and they charge in the receiver/cradle. And there is a little three LED "power meter" to let you know how the batteries are doing -- it works for 2 days (or more) even after it has just one green light, and you have up to an hour after the last light turns red. 15-20 minutes of charging then makes it possible to use for a few hours, and it takes 3-4 hours to fully charge.
#1756 by Nick Pyner
Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:57 pm
artmanvt2000 wrote: I could see a big advantage to setting a button to toggle between files. I find my self switching between a floor plan file and elevation file all the time.

Hmmmm. There is an indication that better employment of GTVs is in order here. It might save you a button.