Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#219 by yoga
Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:15 am
Are files backward compatible to v.10 from v.11? I have an oppty to work with a v.11 user, I'm running v.10. Looking for a way to make it work without an upgrade if possible.

thanks -
#220 by Mark Toce
Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:24 am
yoga wrote:Are files backward compatible to v.10 from v.11? I have an oppty to work with a v.11 user, I'm running v.10. Looking for a way to make it work without an upgrade if possible.

thanks -

DataCAD 11 does not have the ability to save in *.DC5 format.

DataCAD 11 features a new double-precision database format, and a new file extension of *.AEC. The new format uses 14 decimal places to store the math that defines the geometry in your file.

When you open a legacy *.DC5 file in version 11, the program makes a copy of your file in the new double-precision format. Converting back to the single-precision *.DC5 format would not only be impractical, it would also produce undesirable results, as it would have to round off values which would make your data inaccurate.
#227 by Greg Blandin
Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:13 am
You can probably export it as a .dwg and then import it into ver. 10.

You'll lose information, but get most of what you want.
#254 by yoga
Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:11 pm
Thanks much, guys.
#968 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:39 pm
can you install 11 and keep 10 in tact for this reason and run both versions, until everyone upgrades to 11

Yup, just make sure the default install of 11 goes to a different location (which it should be, because it now defaults to your program files folder). The Dcadwin.ini files for 11 are now stored in the datacad folder now, so the install of 10 will still use the ini installed in the Windows folder.
#1008 by SkylineArch
Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:54 pm
joshhuggins wrote:
can you install 11 and keep 10 in tact for this reason and run both versions, until everyone upgrades to 11

Yup, just make sure the default install of 11 goes to a different location (which it should be, because it now defaults to your program files folder). The Dcadwin.ini files for 11 are now stored in the datacad folder now, so the install of 10 will still use the ini installed in the Windows folder.

Great! thanks for the info!
#1012 by Greg Blandin
Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:47 pm
Can we sticky this thread?