What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?

Which is your favorite idea?

25%
16%
8%
44%
7%
#26436 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:28 pm
It would be nice to have the new By Center option in the 3D Rotate options.
#26451 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:25 am
Since we can only rotate by one axis at a time probably would be best to only use the currently selected axis I would think unless others can think of a better reason to use all of them. If the By Center button is sticky for all three axis, then it's one click to use it on all three axis as the different axis are selected from the menu. Just seems more straight forward to me. I think that's why we can only rotate one axis at a time, to help keep track of how things are being rotated, which my simple little mind appreciates. :wink:
#26454 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:37 am
Done for version 12!
Also it would be handy if in the Referance Manager if we could rename our xrefs by hitting F2. And maybe an option to sort by Rename, Original Name or Insertion Order (Is that the current order?)?
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#26456 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:04 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Also it would be handy if in the Referance Manager if we could rename our xrefs by hitting F2.

Done.
#26461 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:37 pm
Sweet, Thanks David.
#26593 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:41 am
It would be super kwel if the filter button when toggled on would work like it currently does for wild cards and such, but when toggled off, the menus would auto filter simply by typing a few characters in the information bar, and also made available for the Linetype, Hatch and other list menus. For example if I open a linetype menu with Filter toggled off and type "Sec" it would jump to the Section linetype which is the first line type in the list with those characters, but not the only one, I also have Section 2 and Section 3. So just by typing a few characters I get where I need to be fast and make my choice there, but without the need for the Filter to be toggled on or having to add the * or ? and hitting enter to run the filter. Or messing with clearing a previous filter. This would also allow for the Filter toggled to keep the stored filter (toggled on) that maybe complex for reuse, and leave the simple filtering to the auto filter. It would just jump to the first linetype in the menu that meet that criteria. Does that make sense? Just seems like it would work faster and more intuitive for new (and old) users too. I probably wouldn't really need the Filter button in the Linetype & Hatch menus, just having the auto filter there would be great!
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#27020 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:16 pm
I often need to move or copy something a specific distance and direction in one drawing and then preform the same task in another drawing. Often this is a complex distance and angle. It would be nice to be able to copy a distance & direction to the clipboard. Example for Move it could be F1 Move, (Set distance or Previous Distance), S4 To Clipboard. Or for Measures, F7 Measures, F4 Pnt. To Pnt., (measure your points), F2 To Clipboard. Then we when in another drawing we could F1 Move, F6 From Clipboard, which would load the last distance value. If there are multiple distance values, then we could have a S9 Clipboards option to "show" the stored distance values. The clipbook preview could just stay blank and just display the values in the cord/hints bar. Also with the new clipbooks this could be really handy to keep multiple distances handy via the clipboard. Whatcha think? Any better ideas?
#27023 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:06 pm
Nice ideas, Josh.

It's an even smarter enpowerment of "our" clipboard.
You got my vote for it.

Thanks,
Miguel
#27105 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:26 pm
^^^ Didn't you always love those Rocky & Bullwinkle titles?:mrgreen: ^^^

I know this one probably lies at the core of the program and probably would cause a "ruckus" to fix (yes, fix IMHO), but it sure feels like it's time that groups supported entities across different layers. The moving and rearranging of entities layers just to have the ability to group them drives me nuts sometimes. I know there is the issue of 'what if a group that has entities on a layer that is turned off is moved?' I say move the layers that are on and leave the others alone. But I can see where others would want everything to move regardless of the layer status, and that's fine. Make a sticky toggle for the layer status in the group menu. This problem just sent me for a loop big time when I grouped a large amount of entities forgetting the grouping "rule". (sigh) :roll: Time to clean up the mess...
Last edited by joshhuggins on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#27114 by Jsosnowski
Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:15 am
A Minor issue that has always frustrated me occurs when working between 2D and 3D views and calling an menu item such as stretch which has two versions, one for each view type. Invariably I call stretch from the keyboard in 3D and the view is automatically returned to 2D. It would be nice if a call to such menus was checked before switching. If I am in a 3D view and call stretch, odds are that I want the three D menu, not the 2D. What do others think?
#27116 by Tony Blasio
Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:35 am
Jsosnowski wrote:A Minor issue that has always frustrated me occurs when working between 2D and 3D views and calling an menu item such as stretch which has two versions, one for each view type. Invariably I call stretch from the keyboard in 3D and the view is automatically returned to 2D. It would be nice if a call to such menus was checked before switching. If I am in a 3D view and call stretch, odds are that I want the three D menu, not the 2D. What do others think?

There is a fix for this in DataCAD 11 & 12 right now. In the Tools, Program Preferences pulldown on the Misc Tab. There is a section called View Dependant Editing. There are 2 check boxes here that give you the ability to specify how your situation is handled. I have mine with only the 2D box checked. This basically tells DataCAD if I hit Alt+S for stretch I only want the 2D version if I am in ortho. I can still get the 3D stretch in ortho this way if I am in the 3D menus but I am not limited to a 3D view as I would be if 3D was checked as well.

Give it a try. If you check both boxes you must be in a 3D view to have 3D tools work from shortcuts and a 2D for 2D commands. Like I said having 2D checked works best for me.
#27117 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:37 am
Hi Joe,

Try to turn ON only the 2D slot on View Dependant Editing, inside Program Preferences/Misc pane.

Miguel
#27315 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:39 pm
While cleaning up some messes caused by the clipboard paste grouping bug :( I was trying to regroup my entities back to their proper groups I was having a hard time remembering what entities I had already grouped and which I hadn't as many were the same types of entities. I realized it would be very handy addition to the Group tool to add a few options. First and highest on my wishlist would by "Highlight". A Sticky toggle that when toggled on would prompt you to pick a color. You then group / ungroup you sets, but when you right click to end a set they would highlight in your selected color, (and maybe dash using the standard highlight tool?). This way you have a visual aid as to which entities you have edited within this session. As you continue creating your groups, each is added to the highlighted set. If you right click all the way out of the Group command then things are returned to normal and the "Highlight" cache is cleared for the next time. My other idea which I'm not too sure would be a great idea mainly because of possible speed issues would be two other toggles. "Highlight Groups" which would highlight all entities that are a part of a group and "Highlight ungrouped" which would highlight entities that are not a part of a group. As I said I'm not sure about these but maybe someone could think of something similar that would be useful. But for sure I'd love to see the group session highlight and think it would be very handy.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#27434 by joshhuggins
Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:54 pm
I know the wish to be able to have multiple symbol browsers has been brought up before, and I still think that would be very handy so thought I'd squeak a little for it now. [Squeak] But my until then wish would be that the Symbol Browser, Folder button had an arrow, and had a recent folders list. Often when editing symbols we have to switch between several folders to get the the "parts" we need. And if the navigation to these folders is under many levels of folders navigation back and forth can get tiresome. This would speed things up nicely.