Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#249 by Draw4Food
Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:36 pm
I am thinking about getting a new residential drafting software. There seems to be a lot of buzz about Revit, Archicad, and Chief Architect. Other than price, what advatages are there to Datacad over these?

My objective is to complete basic construction prints as quickly as possible. A lot of my work involves making changes to a base model, so I am particularly interested in how datacad compares to a fully parametric application.
#282 by Draw4Food
Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:42 pm
Thanks Clayton,

I have not heard about spirit, I will look into it. I have heard good things about sketckup. 3d is not a high priority right now, but I might need to add it in the future to be competitive.

Your example about moving windows exactly describes what I am after, my main motivation is to save time and if I can drag a window in one view and it changes them in all views, then that is a good thing. My concern is that in practice, these programs don't do the job a easily as advervised. If it is more work to change the one parametric model than change the four or five sets of layers in datacad, then it isn't worth while (unless you need the 3d)
#331 by Chris Kryzanek
Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:23 pm
If you're interested in Rivit, check out this offer:

I'm not sure if you have to be a student, but it's a cheap way to try out the software.