What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?

Which is your favorite idea?

25%
16%
8%
44%
7%
#37026 by Tony Blasio
Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:34 am
I am OK with the loss of the comand line. I don't think I have ever typed in a name either. The most I have used it for is setting the Filter but the command line could just come on when the Filter is toggled on to set it.
#37029 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:50 am
Dick Eades wrote:I think we could lose the command line. It would be my guess that very few people actually type in the layer name and those that want to could click on a menu selection to allow it.

Hi Dick,

If I understood your request, I'd not agree with this. The first reason that comes to my mind is the newly (and oldie) CAD standard, which goes and comes from time to time on discussions in several forums.
It would be a pain to choose among zillions of layer names. And you should be required to pre-type in any other place to be allowed to choose from a list.

I can recall a discussion years ago, about the creation of a set of layers, to be stored on a virtual "shelf" that could be brought up to the current drawing by multiple selection.

It included a definition of Cathegory of layers, with primary and secondary levels, like on a "By Floor" organizational tree, etc. Josh has some interesting ideas around this subject, as well.

May be these ideas could worth a time to think, for improving the layering engine.

My two cents, BTW.
Miguel
#37047 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:38 am
Dick Eades wrote:I think we could lose the command line. It would be my guess that very few people actually type in the layer name and those that want to could click on a menu selection to allow it.

How'z about this as a compromise:

I'll add a new INI entry:

Code: Select allNo Command Line in Layer Menus=TRUE

If this entry is present and set to true, you'll get your layer menus with no command line. Unless, you hold down the [Ctrl] key when entering the menu.

Dave
#37049 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:46 am
David A. Giesselman wrote:

How'z about this as a compromise:

I'll add a new INI entry:

Code: Select allNo Command Line in Layer Menus=TRUE

If this entry is present and set to true, you'll get your layer menus with no command line. Unless, you hold down the [Ctrl] key when entering the menu.

Dave
Very nice with the Ctrl option. Thanks Dave. I think this will be very appreciated all around.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#37052 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:34 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Very nice with the Ctrl option. Thanks Dave. I think this will be very appreciated all around.

By the same token, if the INI key is missing or set to FALSE, holding the [Ctrl] key when entering the menus will disable the command line.

Dave
#37054 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:48 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:
joshhuggins wrote:Very nice with the Ctrl option. Thanks Dave. I think this will be very appreciated all around.

By the same token, if the INI key is missing or set to FALSE, holding the [Ctrl] key when entering the menus will disable the command line.

Dave
Doubly nice for those who will prefer to leave it turned on. Well done chap! Image
#37061 by Tony Blasio
Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:52 pm
Dave,

I bet the road map of commands with all the detours of INI commands has to be wild :!:

I like your solution.
#37069 by ticomccr
Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:42 pm
I certainly could live with this. As I said, I only occasionally use the command line so this would be a good compromise.
#37369 by Stuart Jackson
Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:07 pm
Symbol attributes display and editor - great one.
#37649 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:24 pm
I don't know if this would be possible, but it would be nice if the Status Area drop downs would jump when a letter is pressed. Say I drop down the linetype drop down, and I am at Circles, if the drop down is "dropped" and I hit G on the keyboard, it would jump to the first linetype that starts with a G, which is my case would be Grass. Like the font dialogs in most apps, Datacad included.
#37742 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:55 pm
It would be nice if Datacad could remember the last setting used for nesting when inserting xrefs. As it is now, when we close and reopen a drawing it defaults back to Nesting=On. We typically try to insert with nesting off to help with file speed, and if it's needed, turn it on for the individual instances where it's needed.
#37967 by joshhuggins
Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:46 am
A request from a co-worker is that the Drawing Info dialog could have an option to list GTV's. I would also guess for my smarter, MSP using brethren an option to list MSP items would be helpful. My side note suggestion would be to revise the name in the Tools drop down name to match the dialog box, instead of just Info, calling it Drawing Info. Thanks.
#38019 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:19 am
There should probably be some way of showing in the reference manager that an xref is being suppressed. Maybe having the name text greyed out and/or italicized. Also a way to suppress/unsuppress from the manager. Probably an option by right clicking on an xref name.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#38045 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:55 pm
joshhuggins wrote:...My side note suggestion would be to revise the name in the Tools drop down name to match the dialog box, instead of just Info, calling it Drawing Info. Thanks.

Good catch, Cousin!

I'll do by myself, on translated version, matching dialog and menu option spelling.

Thanks,
Miguel
#38497 by joshhuggins
Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:44 pm
joshhuggins wrote:It would be handy if when we moused over the colors in the DXF/DWG Color Mapper it showed us the color name (or default color #) in a little flyout. It can be a little hard to ID colors by their grid location only.
Done for ver. 12! Thanks!
Last edited by joshhuggins on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.