Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#5056 by kapone085
Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:43 pm
I would like to learn if there is an option where you can have the sessions
delete themselves after so many days?
#5059 by Tony Blasio
Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:12 pm
Currently no....

But I would definitely vote this enhancement! :wink:
#5060 by joshhuggins
Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:30 pm
Would this be mainly for after a job is complete to free space? Probably as easy to do a search for session files, sort the results by date, then delete or move them to a backup disk. If all the session files go to one directory it's really easy. Datacad trying to keep track of tons of files might not be a good thing IMHO :wink:
#5066 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:33 pm
Hey Guys, calm down.

The sessions backup feature is a GREAT achievement. One of the greatest of DataCAD 11. I am sure you all agree with it.
Not every project has the same term to be finished from others.

I have some suggestions to manage it:

1) Set the number of sessions you want to be saved, less then 10. My suggestion: no less then 3;
2) Put the sessions folder on a separate network hard disk, where you can manage it easier;
3) Buy a new additional HD only for this backups. It worths by far;
4) Just turn it off if you are upset with it... but first be careful you got a saved backup copy for later. As you all know, you wiiiill need it, some time after...

Absolutely, I prefer to be wrong having to discharge excess of data then by lack of it!!

Hope this helps,
Miguel
#5078 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:41 am
Hi all.

The way we handle the project files and sessions here are as follows:

The projects are all accessed from a single networked machine.

Each individual computer has the sessions turned on, set to 10, and set to save to a "_Sessions" folder on that machine. If you want to clean up the hardrive, and free up some space on your individual computer, you just go to that "_Sessions" folder and selectively delete what you want ... or ALL of it!

The only disadvantage to this system is that all of the backup "FloorPlan" (for example) files are the last 10 "FloorPlan" backups (per computer), and may be of different projects if you use the same file name within those different projects. ...In other words, the sub-folders and files are not project-specific. That works for us, because we treat these sessions as temporary backups, and assume that if enough time has passed to overight previous "FloorPlan" backups from other projects, then **PROBABLY** we don't need those older backups, anyway.