Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#2173 by David Porter
Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:49 am
For anyone needing to view Tiff drawings and to zoom in on them, pan, rotate, and print them, I did some Web research and came across what I think to be the best of them all. And, the best part is that it is FREE.

Go to http://www.bravaviewer.com/ and download the Brava Reader that is the first icon to come up on that home page.
#5110 by David Porter
Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:13 am
Neil,

Good to know about Iranview. I used to use that program as my digital photo viewer back about 5 or so years ago when it first came out. Didn't know it had improved to also serve as a good viewer of Tiff files. I will download it and check it out.

Thanks.
#5111 by David Porter
Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:18 am
Neil,

I did try out Irfanview for viewing tiffs. I find it a little "stiff" in its controls abilities for panning, zooming, rotating the image, and clarity of the viewed image. The Brava Reader that I posted about, I think, provides about the easiest tools for zipping around and zoomed in on a tiff and at the highest clarify of any tiff viewer that I have found.

To each his own, I suppose.
#5123 by Dick Eades
Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:41 am
David is right, here. I tried the Brava Reader after using IrfanView for Tiff's and it is indeed far superior for that file type.
#5128 by Philip Hart
Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:29 am
As an added note, the latest version of IrfanView includes a separate application: IrfanView Thumbnails. This greatly improves on the viewing of multiple images in a folder and the creation of "contact sheets." Highly recommended - and free.
#5132 by joshhuggins
Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:22 am
This is slightly off topic of this thread, but does anyone know how to suppress the display of tiff files in the Windows XP Common Task area, under the Details picture preview area, and also for thumbnail views?

We use Oce ReproDesk 4.30 to convert our pdf files into tiffs for our printshop. The tiff files have such large dimensions, windows explorer freaks out if we highlight a single tiff file while in any icon view other than thumbnail, the window will crash. If we select multiple files it suppresses the display and it's fine. If the icon display is set to thumbnail the window will automatically lock up.
#5135 by Steve Baldwin
Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:22 pm
Philip Hart wrote:As an added note, the latest version of IrfanView includes a separate application: IrfanView Thumbnails. This greatly improves on the viewing of multiple images in a folder and the creation of "contact sheets." Highly recommended - and free.

FWIW ... I've been using the thumbnails and creating contact sheets (index pages w/ thumbnail pics, file names, headers, and footers ... all customizable) for a few years ... so I think the thumbnails have actually been around awhile.

IrfanView also has plugins for additional photo editing, multi-media, slide shows, etc. It seems that I am always finding something new that I can do with the program.
#5136 by archjjg
Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:48 pm
I hate to sound a bit naive, but what are Tiff drawings?
#5138 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:03 pm
TIFF (Tagged Image File Format) is a file format used mainly for storing raster images. It is generally considered the standard format for storing high color-depth images.

Dave
Last edited by David A. Giesselman on Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
#5202 by Philip Hart
Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:33 am
Steve Baldwin wrote:FWIW ... I've been using the thumbnails and creating contact sheets (index pages w/ thumbnail pics, file names, headers, and footers ... all customizable) for a few years ... so I think the thumbnails have actually been around awhile.

IrfanView also has plugins for additional photo editing, multi-media, slide shows, etc. It seems that I am always finding something new that I can do with the program.

Yes, the thumbnails and contact sheet functions have been in IrfanView forever. I meant to be saying that they are greatly improved in the latest version (I'm using v3.97 of IrfanView).
#5205 by David Porter
Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:57 am
Josh wrote:
We use Oce ReproDesk 4.30 to convert our pdf files into tiffs for our printshop.

You might want to have youor printshop get in touch with Oce. About 5 years ago, Oce came out with a PDF driver for their machines to accept straight PDF files and print them out. I send my unaltered PDF files to three different repro shops and they all use Oce equipment and they all now have the PDF driver for Oce so I don't have to do any conversions to Tiff or any other format. The printing quality I get back is really crisp looking.
#5211 by joshhuggins
Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:00 pm
Thanks for the reply David. Our print shop has the capability to process the PDF's directly, but the processing takes quite a while for them, and slows them down. We process them here for them as a background task. The Processed tiffs also compress down smaller than the pdfs for the electronic transfer. It's one of those we'll scratch their back if they scratch ours kind of deals. Thanks again for the helpful thinking :wink: