What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?

Which is your favorite idea?

25%
16%
8%
44%
7%
#5168 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:38 pm
Great idea, Josh.

Solid fills are being used to improve presentations of symbols, with great results, and a gradient feature would enrich a lot the decorated plans.

Thanks,
Miguel
#5240 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:12 pm
How about two new toggles while inserting symbols, "Mirror X" and "Mirror Y"? This way you could insert the symbols mirrored the way you want at insert time, and not have to exit out of the symbol insert menu. Also this would allow people who have multiple symbols for left and right to reduce their symbol inventory (if they wanted).

(edit: symbols would be mirrored about the insert point)

Done for Version 12! A little different idea, but works great!
Last edited by joshhuggins on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#5245 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:29 pm
joshhuggins wrote:How about two new toggles while inserting symbols, "Mirror X" and "Mirror Y"?

This is a great idea. I've created a lot of symbols with mirrored instances to adjust this feature. Very good improvement.

symbols would be mirrored about the insert point

IMHO, No, I guess it would mirror around its own center. The mirror by 'insert point' could be an option.

Thanks,
Miguel
#5254 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:01 pm
Hello,

I agree that we should have a Mirror toggle -- but if you mirror and then use dynamic rotate, isn't that the same thing?

Also, if you Enlarge X and/or Y to -1, then this mirrors things! :o It is a little too obscure, so like I said, a mirror button would be good.
#5258 by Dave
Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:24 am
I'd like to be able to leave the LM open on my 2nd screen, don't like having to click apply to show the changes. When the mouse moves over the LM window it gets focus just like the symbol browser.

Regards Dave
#5261 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:46 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:...but if you mirror and then use dynamic rotate, isn't that the same thing?

Indeed no, Neil. Mirror allows to get an object that has right and left different shapes to be inverted. This result you can't get with rotation.

Thanks,
Miguel
#5629 by joshhuggins
Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:18 pm
How about if the Hatch and SBF managers were combined? This way we could have more pattern options for the fills. We can currently use a fill without a pattern, and overlay a hatch polyline, but having only one polyline to mess with would be sweet. No hassle with the behind/front settings for the polylines and trying to snap to one polyline and getting the other. The fill/bitmap would always behind if you picked a hatch pattern. Any other ideas for this :?: Would be a step closer to getting the hatch manager really handy for every day use.

(edited: added border color opt)
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#5631 by Tony Blasio
Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:28 pm
:shock:

Josh...all I can say is WOW :!:

That is a fantastic idea and the image is way kewl :!:

:shock:
#5640 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:24 am
Josh, it's amazing your ability to put the ideas on the image.

A next step would be the Hatch Manager allow to Create new hatch patterns. What about ?

Thanks,
Miguel
#5973 by joshhuggins
Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:06 am
Miguel Palaoro wrote:A next step would be the Hatch Manager allow to Create new hatch patterns. What about ?

That's another good idea that probably needs to be added. I think we would see some really good hatch pattern come out.

On a new wish, it would be great if we could have drop down toolbars buttons with sub-drop down buttons.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#6225 by Sean Hamilton
Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:10 pm
STOP IT Josh. Enough already !? Now look what you've done, I was comfortably numb but now I think I'm becoming dissatisfied with DataCAD. :wink:
#6317 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:05 am
Sean Hamilton wrote:STOP IT Josh. Enough already !?

I can't stop it. It wouldn't be fair to all the little children of the world...

I sure like how Spirit 12 has combined the palette and pen table, but I think they missed the boat by having two seperate tabs, and their color palette is messy and out of order. If I was to design it.....

Miguel had some great points on this too!
Miguel Palaoro wrote:Hi Josh,

In this area I like the way as the color palette is treated in every drawing file:
a) It starts with a default set;
b) If you do any change it will be confined to "this" file;
c) If you want to change your default, you must do it in the right place, what prevents accidents;
d) and if you want to update your choice it will be available to every other file.

So don't you agree that this is very smart ?

I don't like the actual 'volatility' of the pen file (.dpf) which updates the source .dpf every time you confirm a pen setting in any drawing.

I would hardly defend that the pen file should be embedded in every drawing file. This, I repute as a weakness in our drawing format today, because it requires the drawing 'sender' should send his pen settings in a separate piece of paper. Very poor!

Hope this can happen soon.

Thanks,
Miguel
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#6517 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:01 am
Here's an oldie of a wish for saving a users settings to a text file.
Then add a code so we can call these setting to load, with a quick-key or toolbar button.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#6522 by Tony Blasio
Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:49 am
I like this one allot. You get my vote. :D
#6525 by Brian Engebretson
Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:11 pm
That’s another great idea. Add in a tab for all the hidden Dcadwin.ini settings and I will be a happy man.