Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#52532 by melina
Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:21 am
Without requesting top secret information, can I ask why DCAD wants to go to this system of license verification? Is the cost of dongles going up that much?
#52534 by David Porter
Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:09 pm
Tony brings up the same issue I will have. I use Log Me In to get from my home laptop to my office computers. I leave the office computers on 24/7 so that works. But, I don't leave my home laptop on unless I am using it. So, I too would not be able to log into my laptop from my office, so if after trudging through DCAD drawings over a weekend I forgot to deactivate my laptop from the DCAD license, I would have to take a drive back home to deactivate the laptop. Not a good way to start off a Monday.
#52535 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:14 pm
#52545 by Mark Bell
Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:31 pm
Maybe DataCAD can offer two sale options, a cheaper softlock price and for those wanting a physical dongle, the current price (or whatever it might be). A third option might be the ability to purchase a 'bundle license' with one of each. For those not having an internet connexion or worried about the reliability of their own service provider (Murphy's Law will have it go down when you have your most important deadline :roll: ) then those who take work home can have the dongle at home and the softlock in the office which would likely have the internet connected.
#52548 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:22 pm
#52551 by MtnArch
Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:51 pm
I made the jump to the softlock on one of my X3 licenses today. So far the only downside is that you have to uninstall your current X3 first and then install the softlock version - but Mark says they think they may have a fix so you don't have to uninstall first! Gotta love everyone at DC LLC - always a step ahead of us!

The new splash screen as X3 loads is very cool!
#52553 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:39 pm
Hello Alan et al.:

You do not have to uninstall first. We now have a dedicated updater for updating any previous DataCAD X3 'Hardlock' installation to a 'Softlock' installation.

MFM
#52559 by MtnArch
Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:29 pm
Thanks, Mark!

Booting up for the first (real) time without the hardlock and I'm **LOVING** it (oh ... sorry ... was I yelling? It's 'cause I **MEANT IT!!!**!!!)!

This has to be up there with the V8 3-in-1 upgrade - it is worth EVERY ($25 dongle swap-out) penny!

Color me :D right now!!
#52565 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:24 am
#52570 by melina
Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:48 am
From the original description:

"If it finds that DataCAD X3 Hardlock is already installed, it simply updates it with the latest fixes and enhancements. The universal installer will not replace the hardlock-protected version of DataCAD X3 with the softlock-protected version."

Is this still an option?