Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#39234 by rogerra
Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:47 pm
I just opened an autocad drawing in Datacad v12.

There are note symbols that I can't seem to explode so that I can edit them.

Also, what is the difference between opening a .dwg file or importing it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
#39242 by rogerra
Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:40 pm
The notes in question identify as symbols in datacad.

Other text opens in the mtext box and I can edit it as needed. I just can't edit the symbol text.
#39247 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 pm
Hi Roger,

Did you try to open the symbol in the Symbol Editor? You can Control-Right Click on it, and select Edit Symbol, or set up the Program Preferences to open the SE by double-clicking on it.
#39271 by rogerra
Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:29 am
No, I have not tried cntrl right-click. I'll try it.

Thanks.
#39276 by rogerra
Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:53 pm
It worked.

Thanks.
#56896 by joeferguson
Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:42 pm
Thanx Neil,

I have been fighting this issue for several years now. You have no idea how many tens of hours I have spent tracing over those symbols so I could edit them.

Now for the next step: Some of my drawings have up to a dozen symbols that I want to explode, first to a polyline then to lines and arcs. So far I have visited each one and performed the explode step for each then convert them to lines and arcs using the area command.

Is there a way I can explode them all in one step?

Joe

Still on v. 12
#56898 by Roger D
Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:10 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Is there a way I can explode them all in one step?
Have you tried the 3dMenu/Explode/SymExplode command.
It might not get the polylines, but should turn all into individual entities, (lines, arcs, ellipses) etc.
#56899 by Roger D
Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:27 am
joeferguson wrote:Is there a way I can explode them all in one step?

If you have the macro 3DTools, there is a "Kaboom!" command, yes that's the name and it explodes everything back to an entity based on some setttings.
#56921 by joeferguson
Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:40 pm
Tried 3dMenu/Explode/Symexplode and it returns the message "The exploded entity is a symbol" but no explosion.

Don't think I have the Kaboom tool. Never seen it in 7 years. How does one get it?

joe
#56922 by Roger D
Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:13 pm
I forget where I got the macro 3dTools from. It looks like it came from Madura studios, maybe it came with the program????
#56923 by jimgoodman
Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:45 pm
Try Evan Shu's Cheap Tricks Ware - CheapTricksWare.com
#56924 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:08 pm
rogerra wrote:I just opened an autocad drawing in Datacad v12.

There are note symbols that I can't seem to explode so that I can edit them.

I would suspect that, in typical Autocad fashion, that these symbols are nested n-levels deep. The Explode command in the 3D Edit menu only explodes 1 level at a time. Using that function, you would need to Explode the symbol "n" times until it is broken down into its base entities.

Dave