Post off topic threads here.
#59625 by Mark F. Madura
Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:39 am
CAD Software Directory

*EDIT*
Here's a link to a Competitor Info page I put together for my own reference.
Please post any additions, corrections, or comments you may have.
Some prices are not published or easy to find, so if you've been quoted, let us know.

It's March, so AutoCAD 2014 should be announced any day now. I was shocked to see the latest upgrade price for AutoCAD 2013.
Only AutoCAD versions 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 are eligible. Otherwise, the price is $4,195.

*EDIT* Here's the price list for Autodesk products.
Not included here is Autodesk Revit Ultimate $12,075 (MSRP)*

#59627 by MtnArch
Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:08 am
It's amazing that so many still think this is the only way to go - not realizing how much more they can get with a much better program (DataCAD, of course!). And this is just to purchase the license - it doesn't include the yearly subscription to boot!!

Nice find, Mark! How about a dual pricing screenshot - AC and DC? Now THAT would be marketing!!!
#59628 by Okcsailing
Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:50 am
Mark,

It gets better!!!!! $149.00 for the student ultimate building suite 2013 at bestbuy
Attachments
Bestbuy deal.jpg
Bestbuy deal.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 38771 times
#59674 by Steve Baldwin
Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:16 pm
DBrennfoerder wrote:Hey, we're all basically "students", right? Looks like a good price to me.

Be aware: I think if you use the student version, it puts some sort of "student" watermark on your files, that continues even if you later open those files with a regular version that were once worked on by a student version.

One of our engineers has had continuing problems with some of our files that we let a temp person use his student version on.
#59678 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 pm
Steve Baldwin wrote:
DBrennfoerder wrote:Hey, we're all basically "students", right? Looks like a good price to me.

Be aware: I think if you use the student version, it puts some sort of "student" watermark on your files, that continues even if you later open those files with a regular version that were once worked on by a student version.

One of our engineers has had continuing problems with some of our files that we let a temp person use his student version on.

I've read this on the Autocad user forums. The watermark "PRODUCED BY AN AUTODESK EDUCATIONAL PRODUCT" is printed on the 4 edges of the printed (hard copy or PDF) output. This watermark can not be removed and persists when the drawing is opened in a fully-licensed commercial version. I would also assume that there is some additional internal differentiation with files created in the student and commercial versions. I would also assume that if you were found using a student version for commercial purposes, they would not be happy.

Dave
#59680 by Steve Baldwin
Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:<snip> I would also assume that if you were found using a student version for commercial purposes, they would not be happy.

...And my understanding is that they are a company that will not hesitate to come after you if they are upset at you.
#59684 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:03 pm
I was not able to find any current figures. However, in 2003 the Autodesk Piracy Prevention Department had total recoveries of $60 million since its founding in 1989.
#59685 by Robert Scott
Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:07 pm
Steve Baldwin wrote:
David A. Giesselman wrote:<snip> I would also assume that if you were found using a student version for commercial purposes, they would not be happy.

...And my understanding is that they are a company that will not hesitate to come after you if they are upset at you.

I've never owned or even used a single Autodesk product...I simply choose other alternatives.
Not to defend AD but why is enforcing and going after those that steal their product a bad thing?

Robert
#59686 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:26 pm
That's why I like the dongle solution for DataCAD. Whether software or hardware version, it is not the problem that it was touted to become when the device was first proposed. Either way, Mark and others at the top know we are using paid products and few (if any) stolen licenses are in the field.
#59688 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:15 pm
Enforcing a copyright is not a 'bad' thing. The fact they have collected tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars speaks to their dominance more than anything else.

As a company, they decided to make joining the BSA | The Software Alliance a priority. However, they declined joining the OpenDWG Alliance which could have benefited millions of designers worldwide.

Last November, Autodesk had a cash hoard of 1.33 Billion and no debt. Since the economy collapsed at the end of 2007, they have manage to increase their revenue to more than 2 Billion annually.

These 'miraculous' results are quite contrary to what most small businesses have experienced during the same period. I suspect it has something to do with government contracts and the DWG requirement, and Autodesk's continued control of the file format.

According to one attorney at the FTC, though Autodesk may be a monopolist in some markets (they certainly appear to be pricing like one), they have not broken the law by obtaining or maintaining their monopoly through anticompetitive conduct.

They can afford to maintain lobbyists in Washington and our government promotes the DWG format rather than one that is in the public domain.

My personal issue is that the 'playing field' is not level (not even close).

Ultimately, the outcome is determined by where consumers put their money.
#59690 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:58 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:Ultimately, the outcome is determined by where consumers put their money.
Yup, the people need to make the effort for change if they want it.
#59706 by Okcsailing
Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 pm
I want to make it clear here that my comment was clearly, that the competition has a hook them as student approach. My understanding trial and academic versions of programs are strictly for learning and not for any use to incur profit. How ever after going to collage for five years using a program for education what program would you most likely purchase????? (Me Datacad that is what I used in the sketchup class and was the only one to complete finial assignment.)

I still have the opinion that cad programs do one of two things very well. Presentation or construction documents. Keeping that in mind my opinion is still that no program passed off as BIM comes close to the CD that can be produced by Datacad. (ok Mark I am looking for discount on next upgrade!! LOL (not)) I know I am no expert so please allow me my opinion. :D (after all the first time I used mask/knockout was in revit class doing a section detail, going wow I can do this in Datacad just as easy! :shock: (I have to admit to pointing out to long time friend and instructor of the revit course 2009 draws doors incorrectly with hinge on the exterior brick at wall) He was my VOTEC instructor in High school.

If I can ever figure out how to get the goto views to dissect and bisect a Datacad model and auto hide the view to just add dim. and text look out!!!!!!! BIM will meet Datacad and the rest of the world would once again have to catch up to Datacad. :mrgreen: Then again I have to stop righting delta on all the fixtures and whirlpool on all the apliances to speed up model. :lol:
#61423 by Steve Clark
Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:41 am
I am not trying to jump this thread, but we have been using a free AutoCAD clone that somehow is legal, yet uses nearly all autocad's keyboard shortcuts, menus and screen layout.

I have been away from the forum for a long time so you may know about it: DraftSight by Dessault Systems

It has real issues in Compatibility with the most current versions of AutoCAD, but is quite solid for free.

It may work as a check for translated dwg files. Just don't save dwg files with it before sending to a client with the most current versions.

Steve Clark
#61771 by arizonasand
Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:15 pm
I have used Datacad on my own projects since version 3 or 4 its been a long time. It was back when Autocad did not have autosave and the AIA at that time had supported Datacad. It was way ahead of Autocad. I have also used Autocad from version 2 to 2014 version. Its not bad but I still prefer the Datacad. There are some things that Datacad needs to do better but its a great price and great software. On teh student version of Autocad or even revit - Its no more. Autocad discontinued the student version. There is a trial version good for 30days - but limited. Autocad still changes their program from version to version. A older version of full autocad cant open up a new version of autocad lite. There are also problems with unite on autocad between the civil package and the architectural package. Stay with Datacad. :)