Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#61960 by Nick Pyner
Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:16 pm
I cannot render by colour in Sunshader in V16

I don't use Sunshader much but I'm sure I have been able to do this before.

I can use o2c materials setting render by colour or render by layer, usually the former and normally not much difference. This works fine in V16, but I thought the same logic translated to Sunshader.

I have the same problem in V15.04.01.07, but I don't know if this is because I have the same version of Sunshader therein.

This problem arises because I have the entire building on one layer.

Edit 1
I have just activated an older version of V15 on a laptop and Sunshader works OK rendering by colour.

Edit 2
I can work round this problem by changing the layer colours back in DataCad. This matter arose because a subject building was the same colour as an adjoining wall. This was a coincidence, and not normally a problem. It can be fixed by changing the layer colour of the latter, irrespective of the entity colour.

I must say that that little layer manager is useful bit of kit........
#61981 by Nick Pyner
Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Thanks

While SunShader is not up to making real shadow diagrams,there are times when it is really useful to make a quick test. My main problem is remembering this fact.....

As an aside, when this happened, I went to the V15 still on the desktop, which didn't work either. I concluded it was probably the same SunShader and deactivated V15, hoping that the little laptop had not been updated. This turned out to be correct , SunShader was OK, and I turned V15 off.

I then went back to the laptop half an hour later and V15 would not run - no messages.

Is this because I have V16 active on the desktop, and I just got lucky the first time? If so, would I have been able to continue using V15 on the laptop if I had deactivated V16 on the desktop?

I left V15 on the desktop because I thought V16 was a beta, but I had never used it since V16 arrived. I have never installed V16 on the laptops.
#61992 by Mark Toce
Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:39 am
Nick Pyner wrote:Thanks

While SunShader is not up to making real shadow diagrams,there are times when it is really useful to make a quick test. My main problem is remembering this fact.....

As an aside, when this happened, I went to the V15 still on the desktop, which didn't work either. I concluded it was probably the same SunShader and deactivated V15, hoping that the little laptop had not been updated. This turned out to be correct , SunShader was OK, and I turned V15 off.

I then went back to the laptop half an hour later and V15 would not run - no messages.

Is this because I have V16 active on the desktop, and I just got lucky the first time? If so, would I have been able to continue using V15 on the laptop if I had deactivated V16 on the desktop?

I left V15 on the desktop because I thought V16 was a beta, but I had never used it since V16 arrived. I have never installed V16 on the laptops.

DataCAD 15 and DataCAD 16 can be installed and run on the same computer. Maybe something was stuck in memory? Try rebooting and see if you can successfully open the program.

The DataCAD 16 that you received is the release version. It was sent to subscription customers in advance of the official release announcement.
#62044 by Nick Pyner
Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:50 pm
Mark Toce wrote:DataCAD 15 and DataCAD 16 can be installed and run on the same computer. Maybe something was stuck in memory? Try rebooting and see if you can successfully open the program.

The DataCAD 16 that you received is the release version. It was sent to subscription customers in advance of the official release announcement.

Thanks. I will check that. The laptop is a bit suss these days........