What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#62795 by joshhuggins
Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:53 am
I don't know if MText supports it (in autocad), but would be nice if we could set the color for the Under/Overlines different than the text color.
#62953 by joshhuggins
Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:25 pm
Would it be possible to get an option [cough]dcadwin.ini[/cough] so when we are inputting a sting line of dimensions, if we use Ctrl+Z during the string line creation to undo that the sting line would jump back to the previous point so we can continue on? Carrying this to the ultimate conclusion that it should probably be able to track back along all the previous points incase you need to go back more than a step or two. When running a sting line of dimensions and you snap to an incorrect point, you have to right click out of the stingline, re-pick and start a new string. It sounds so lazy typed out :P but it really disrupts "the flow" man and would be an appreciated feature for my lazy bones. Thanks.
#62954 by Paul Nida
Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:26 pm
Josh, when you are doing a string of dimensions and snap to the wrong point, snap back to the last good point then hit Ctrl-Z (undo) to undo the last 2 or more dimensions and continue the dimension string.
#63142 by joshhuggins
Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:12 pm
Would it be possible to add the ability to select a custom location for the Lock Size to scale from per entity? For things like symbols it's easy to set the insert point at a location away from the entities to scale from with Symbol Scale, and xrefs using GTV Link via Absolute Zero. With things like simple text it would be nice to be able to locate text in one location and have it scale from a common place for groups of entities to scale together dynamically. (Edit: Also adding By Center option would be helpful also.)

To build on this wish, could we get an option for Lock Size entities that use Lock Size will only scale when changing GTV's, so the function would work similar to the way Xref GTV Links works? Often we want to print a partial of something and some piece of text will blow up or shrink down messing the print up. If it could be set via the a GTV link only I think that would make things work much smoother. Maybe adding an option below Lock Size called Lock Size GTV Link in the Context Menu?

Trying to implement Xref GTV linking, Lock Size and Symbol Scale into our base files today and tomorrow. Lots of good stuff coming for this. Exciting how much time and effort will be saved from GTV linking finally. Thanks!

Edit: Grrrr frak! Nevermind.... I forgot that Lock Size is dependent on the Scale File scale locations. Image Gawd I can't explain my hate for the limitations of the scale file. It's like someone giving you a million bucks but then they put a stipulation on it that you can only use the money to build life sized statues of Kanye West out of butter in the Sahara. Oh the things we could do if this was ever fixed. And yes it's broken in this state since so many fantastic new features depend on it. These wishes would still be useful when/if the scale file gets fixed.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#63145 by joshhuggins
Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:55 pm
Could we get a stamp added for just the folder the AEC file lives in please?
#63147 by joshhuggins
Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:04 pm
No, would just report back 'Drawings' in the case of your example.
#63148 by joshhuggins
Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:23 pm
How bout a Recalc option added to the GTV, Update menu like the new Extents option?
#63149 by Roger D
Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:29 am
joshhuggins wrote:No, would just report back 'Drawings' in the case of your example.

Not sure what you are looking for.
I have stamps available:
Code: Select all@DWGNAME
@DWGNAMEEXT
@DWGPATH
@DWGFULLNAME
@DWGFULLNAMEEXT

That show up in a drawing as:
Stamps.png
Stamps.png (10.99 KiB) Viewed 16432 times
#63152 by joshhuggins
Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:44 pm
It would just show the folder name that the file itself lives in so for the file path below;

C:\Program Files\DataCAD\Drawings\Filename.aec

lets say the stamp code was @DWGFOLDER , It would report back as

Drawings
#63253 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:38 pm
I know this is probably a hard one to tackle, but when we preform a complex command like a hide, Datacad will seemingly get lost to windows and it gets branded with the Not Responding message in the title bar and stop reporting back updates to the attention bar and display. It would be nice if something could be done to avoid this. It's hard to tell if something has actually crashed or if it's just still processing, and often if a user clicks on the screen it will crash Datacad.
#63254 by jimgoodman
Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:48 pm
joshhuggins wrote:I know this is probably a hard one to tackle, but when we preform a complex command like a hide, Datacad will seemingly get lost to windows and it gets branded with the Not Responding message in the title bar and stop reporting back updates to the attention bar and display. It would be nice if something could be done to avoid this. It's hard to tell if something has actually crashed or if it's just still processing, and often if a user clicks on the screen it will crash Datacad.

I vote for this one!!!
#63255 by Roger D
Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:59 pm
I've had the same issues, would be nice for the % completion be updated, and be able to also click into another program and feel confident that it is still processing.
#63331 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:37 pm
When preforming a close all, it would be nice it Datacad would close all symbols first. If you have a drawing opened, and had opened several symbols up to edit from that drawing then use File, Close All, Then Save Yes To All, if the window order is such that the drawing gets closed first your stuck holding symbols asking for a save as. If all symbols could be closed first it would avoid this problem. Couldn't we double check first if we have any symbols open before we close? Sure but I'm lazy. :D
#63335 by jimgoodman
Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:43 am
joshhuggins wrote:When preforming a close all, it would be nice it Datacad would close all symbols first. If you have a drawing opened, and had opened several symbols up to edit from that drawing then use File, Close All, Then Save Yes To All, if the window order is such that the drawing gets closed first your stuck holding symbols asking for a save as. If all symbols could be closed first it would avoid this problem. Couldn't we double check first if we have any symbols open before we close? Sure but I'm lazy. :D

I'm not so much lazy as forgetful. I vote for this one as well.