What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#61762 by jimgoodman
Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:16 pm
I am starting to use the Sun Shader for quick presentation imaging quite a bit and am falling in love. The lighting control is much better than in O2C. There are a few things that would make the program much more useful:

1. Increase or allow customization of the width of the saved views list.
2. Provide view manager similar to O2C Interactive.
3. Save lighting settings and north orientation with saved views – similar to Sketchup.
4. Save layer state with views.
5. Remember the last location that an image file is saved.
6. Remember last image size, file location, and file type.
7. Remember last Sun Shader Options – Location, Lighting, Ground Plane, etc. for both each time the Sun Shader is started in a single drawing session, and from session to session.
8. Remember last Shadow Study Results settings
9. Do not show entities in 2d3d symbols that are marked for 2d only.
(The 2d entities also show up when exported to Sketchup. I am setting the z-base and z-height at -1000 for now)
10. Save custom locations with the file. The default location list is not very left coast friendly.
11. There are two geodata.ini files – 1 in the \NX\ Support folder and 1 in the \Support folder which should probably be removed since it doesn’t seem to be updated when custom locations are added.
Attachments
From NW Reduced.png
There are elements of this design that are the result of an enthusiastic, but mis-guided corporate architect but the Sun Shader does a great job even with this "assistance."
From NW Reduced.png (241.41 KiB) Viewed 22278 times
#63928 by fsoliver
Sun May 04, 2014 9:18 pm
Would love to chime in here to request,

add the ability to manipulate the model in Sun Shader Space with the 3D Connexions 3d mouse, space naviagator, space mouse.

You can really get up close and personal with your model in SU with this thing as you learn to control it; so you should be able to do the same thing in Sun Shader. Maybe later it could be used in DataCAD also?

http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-so ... ction.html
#63929 by jimgoodman
Sun May 04, 2014 10:05 pm
I wonder if we can get some indication from DataCAD LLC on any progress on this wishlist.

If I am not mistaken, there haven't been any updates to Sun Shader in quite a while (V15.04.01)
#63930 by pjdixit
Sun May 04, 2014 11:11 pm
fsoliver wrote:Would love to chime in here to request,

add the ability to manipulate the model in Sun Shader Space with the 3D Connexions 3d mouse, space naviagator, space mouse.

You can really get up close and personal with your model in SU with this thing as you learn to control it; so you should be able to do the same thing in Sun Shader. Maybe later it could be used in DataCAD also?

http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-so ... ction.html

I have forwarded your request to the team. I will update you when I hear back form them.
#63931 by pjdixit
Sun May 04, 2014 11:20 pm
jimgoodman wrote:I wonder if we can get some indication from DataCAD LLC on any progress on this wishlist.

If I am not mistaken, there haven't been any updates to Sun Shader in quite a while (V15.04.01)

For past few months, focus has been on adding support for latest SketchUp files (up to SketchUp 2014) and because of constraints on our resources, development of Sun Shader has temporarily taken a back seat.

But we are always keen to know about your wish-list and we are happy to accommodate as many as we can. So please keep them coming. Once support for latest SketchUp files is added development of Sun Shader will resume in full swing.
#64769 by Nick Pyner
Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:25 am
jimgoodman wrote:There are a few things that would make the program much more useful:

And here is something else.........

I wish it had a "sun's eye view" button like dhShadow has. It saves an awful lot of time and effort when testing a situation. It is the button that makes the difference between a design tool and a mere viewing tool.
#65040 by Nick Pyner
Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Well, there you go - cast a wish and, two months later, it turns up in DataCad 17. A new button - Sun's eye view.

A big thanks to the Team at DataCad.

(What a wunnerful programme.......)
#65655 by wvar
Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:44 am
I wish that I could have Sun Shader remain open while I edit the 3d model. Even if Sun Shader was displayed at a lower resolution. This would help me significantly with my modelling.
#72257 by Mark Bell
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:50 pm
Walter wrote ..."I wish that I could have Sun Shader remain open while I edit the 3d model. Even if Sun Shader was displayed at a lower resolution. This would help me significantly with my modelling."

Good idea, sort of like a live preview of what you're modelling shown in rendered 3D with shadows.....
#72439 by spencer5x5
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:34 pm
I wish all of the things listed above were important to me. Right now, I need to know how to eliminate all of the text that appears in my image.