Support on o2c files (Objects 2 See) and o2c Interactive!
#63893 by majorstefan
Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:40 am
Hi all, I am wondering if there is a way to slice a building and have that displayed in O2C. I have managed to use the clip cube command to do so in the regular DataCAD window but not in a 3d model.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am using LT13.

Cheers,
#63901 by REX PEET
Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 pm
I'm not sure that LT 13 has all this functionality, but if not this would be a great time to upgrade.

Display the 3D model in plan in Datacad. Then 3D Menus, Section, Cut Line. Place the Cut Line where you want, and the direction of the Section - Select 3D Knife, then New (for New Layer) Place the cut model on this new layer, have only the new layer active and invoke O2C.

One final comment. Make sure you have modelled all internal walls, doors, furniture etc. before you embark on this journey.
#63965 by Mark F. Madura
Tue May 06, 2014 3:55 pm
It is possible by manipulating the cone-of-vision (a.k.a. angle of view) and therefore the hither clip.

Start by displaying an Elevation view.

Then toggle perspective view mode on (i.e., non-parallel).

'Walk' forward (not zoom) to bring the elevation closer in to your view.
Note: The whole elevation does not have to fit on screen at this point.

Increase (or widen) the cone-of-vision until the hither clipping plane starts to 'cut' into the view.
Adjust it to cut as far as you need for your elevation/section.

Now toggle parallel viewing mode back on to create the elevation/section.
#81412 by brucecallahan
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:28 pm
I've been having a good time with DataCad's new ability to keep multiple O2C windows open while editing the model. I've found I can use 3D Tools/Knife to cut the model and produce 3D sections viewable in O2C, to enable a client potentially to better understand the design. These sections can be saved as O2C objects. Then I can use the undo function to undo the cuts and restore the model (actually a copy of the model for safety). Unfortunately Knife may be getting a little old. I've found that attempting to cut the entire model crashes DataCad. It would be great if this macro could be updated. Perhaps there already is such functionality I have forgotten? It would be great if the "kept" portion of the model could be saved to it's own layer without disrupting the model. I understand that the Section tool can extract 2D sections but it would be very useful if this could actually cut 3D models and retain the 3D.
I'm just becoming familiar with DataCad after a lapse, perhaps I've missed a similar development I am unaware of? I'm reminded of the great potential of DataCad's existing functionality. It seems to me that these macros made great use of it. T'would be nice to see this upgraded.
#81413 by dhs
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:40 pm
Unfortunately Knife may be getting a little old

The 3D Tools macro was written by Bill D'Amico quite a while ago now and I believe it has never been updated (and that unfortunately Bill has no interest in updating it).

3D Tools is written using the Classic version of DCAL which is still mostly compatible with the recent versions of DataCAD. One thing that I know will cause classic macros to crash is if they encounter polygons or slabs with more than 40 sides. Classic DCAL only supports polygons/slabs with up to 36 sides (entities with 37 to 39 sides will not be processed correctly, but it only seems to crash on 40+ sides).
It would be worth checking if the 3D Knife crashes you are experiencing could be caused by large polygons/slabs. If so I think the only solution currently would be for you to split those large polygons/slabs into smaller ones.

Regards,
David H.
#81415 by brucecallahan
Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:08 pm
Thanks very much , sounds familiar. Years ago I ran into similar limitations regarding Datacad polygons and numbers of voids supported. I had modeled an office building and found the voids beneath the windows disappearing. The solution was to cut the building into 2 pieces and display them together. The number of voids in each piece did not exceed the maximum allowed.