Found a hidden feature or want to share a time-saving shortcut? Let us all know...
#63995 by Neil Blanchard
Fri May 09, 2014 2:24 pm
This one comes from Steve Preble here at Signature Architects:

For a large floor plan, we have 4 areas clipped and saved as GTV's for a larger scale plan detail. Once we set up the new plan areas, we then needed to set up a GTV for the demolition plan and for the RCP demo, as well. In order to not have to recreate the same clip cube, what you do is open the GTV for the overall demolition plan, and then open the GTV for the plan detail for one of the areas.

Then hit Control-Z.

This keeps the clip cube for the larger scale view but reverts to the layers you need for the demolition plan. Pretty slick!

Save a new GTV, and name it appropriately. Repeat for the other areas you need for all the detail plans.
#64045 by Ted B
Thu May 15, 2014 3:06 pm
Recently I used a clip-cube to self-xref a portion of a floor plan for an enlarged detail and couldn't 'snap' to lines in the xref for dimensions or notes. I would up creating a special layer for those detail-dimensions that was visible in the xref. I don't use self-xrefs this way often but I thought I had been able to 'snap' dimensions before.

Since I typically work in one large DC v13 file, I find using xrefs seems to degrade the performance noticeably if there's more than two or three self-xrefs in the drawing-file.
#64047 by joshhuggins
Thu May 15, 2014 3:30 pm
Ted B wrote:... but I thought I had been able to 'snap' dimensions before.
I'm not sure if this was supported in X3, but if you can verify that it supports this dcadwin.ini value this should be it.
Code: Select all[Xrefs]
Dynamic Snapping=TRUE
There are also several other ini options worth looking into that may speed up things if your still seeing a lag. See http://www.datacad.com/ddn/dcadwin.ini.html#XREFs

Ted B wrote:Since I typically work in one large DC v13 file, I find using xrefs seems to degrade the performance noticeably if there's more than two or three self-xrefs in the drawing-file.
When self xrefs were first introduced there was speed issues adding more self xrefs because each one had it's own temp file. Those days are long gone now as Dave has them very smartly sharing a single temp file. You can add as many as you want with no performance hit other than the normal amount of extra data being displayed. Not sure what version this refinement was added either, but I feel like X3 has this updated self xref system. Might want to verify that you don't references the same layer that the xref itself is on. I think there was some performance lost in this case back then. Xrefs on the other hand do tend to tack on a performance hit, especially when nesting is turned on.
#64059 by David Porter
Fri May 16, 2014 12:41 pm
Yes, that is a pretty slick way to duplicate the CC layout. Should save me some time in the future. I have previously inserted snap points at the corners of the CC's (DCAD will middle mouse button snap to the corners of a CC) and then copied those snap points onto other layers so that my plan, ceiling, demo, and other plan drawings would all have the same CC boundaries. This CTRL Z cheap trick will bypass that step.
#64336 by Ted B
Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:28 pm
Datacad vers. 13

"dcadwin.ini" XREFS [ Dynamic snapping = True ]
Still does not want to 'snap' to anything that is integral part of the x-ref itself. Could there be another set-up parameter or property preventing it from snapping?

I have all 6 xrefs in the file inserted on the same dedicated "xref" layer. Should I have each on it's own dedicated layer?
Last edited by Ted B on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#64337 by joshhuggins
Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:31 pm
Hi Ted,

The syntax looks off if that is how it actually is in your ini file. Can you copy and paste your dcadwin.ini settings directly here and we can take a closer look?