Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#65567 by Okcsailing
Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:11 pm
Ok here I go again in a dyslexic loop?????
I built new system

windows 8.1
8 core I-7
SSD 256 for Boot drive
SSD 1T for program drive
HD is 3T for data
32 GB ram

All the data on Samsung 850 pro claims ten year warranty. Samsung software claims I can make one drive rapid but not both.

Should I drop the boot disk? Use the 1T Drive for C and D with partition? My old system had one 1.5T split into three drives. never ran out of space........ I am finding I still have a lot of junk on it as well.

I have reloaded this once to date and only want to reload one last clean time after debating this and some more mistakes along the way. IE miss loading stuff / wrong version. It seems to slam datacad around and some other programs how ever seems to be overclocked itself to 3.87 while rendering in SU. Podium.

Thanks in advance
#65568 by joshhuggins
Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:54 pm
What models are the SSDs? Both 850 pros?
#65569 by Okcsailing
Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:50 pm
joshhuggins wrote:What models are the SSDs? Both 850 pros?

Yes josh both are 850 Pro. MZ-7KE256BW, MZ-7KE1TOBW
#65572 by joshhuggins
Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:23 am
Even though with 32GB of ram I would normally disable windows virtual memory all together with SSD's, but some apps still need it. Depending on your apps needs, I would probably setup this system using the 1TB drive for the OS and programs & and my common user/working files. The 256GB drive as the location for windows virtual memory, locations for other apps that use a scratch disc or temp files or Virtual Machines. Then use the 3TB drive for long term storage of things I don't access much. I normally right click on things like my Music, Photos & Videos folders and change their location to my larger data HDD's but leave the rest of my user files on the SSD when I know I am going to access them a lot.
#65573 by Okcsailing
Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:11 am
joshhuggins wrote:Even though with 32GB of ram I would normally disable windows virtual memory all together with SSD's, but some apps still need it. Depending on your apps needs, I would probably setup this system using the 1TB drive for the OS and programs & and my common user/working files. The 256GB drive as the location for windows virtual memory, locations for other apps that use a scratch disc or temp files or Virtual Machines. Then use the 3TB drive for long term storage of things I don't access much. I normally right click on things like my Music, Photos & Videos folders and change their location to my larger data HDD's but leave the rest of my user files on the SSD when I know I am going to access them a lot.

I like your thinking!!!! :D Are there any issues with partitioning a SSD to two drives?
Old system C: drive is 256 GB ussed, and D: is 28.7 ussed. (that is with version 12-16 still on it. :( )I have all ways had Datacad and work related stuff on drive D: easy to redo operating system and have work back up quick.

I am planning to get the other 32GB ram. Before I redo system. The SSD software wants virtual 200-1024 on memory. I set it to the 3T drive and let windows deal with it. :D. I have never learned much about virtual.

Thank you...
#65574 by joshhuggins
Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:46 am
No issues with partitioning the SSDs. I wouldn't set the virtual memory to the HDD though as that would eliminate a large chunk of the performance gain when the system or program needs to write to a disk it would be writing to the slower HDD when it could be writing to those shiny SSDs ;)
#65577 by Okcsailing
Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:10 am
joshhuggins wrote:No issues with partitioning the SSDs. I wouldn't set the virtual memory to the HDD though as that would eliminate a large chunk of the performance gain when the system or program needs to write to a disk it would be writing to the slower HDD when it could be writing to those shiny SSDs ;)

Josh!!! Thank you very much!!!! the virtual will be going to the 250 as you suggested...... :D