Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#66114 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:30 pm
Hi,

If the aspect of Smart Arrows is going to be embedded in ParaText (when you Alt-I on it), it would be good to be able globally change this embedded property.

I started putting text in the drawing, and then when I drew and arrow, it was at a aspect of 3. I change it to 5, and draw some arrows. When I Alt-I on some previous text, it becomes 3 again. I tried Changing the aspect to 5 and hit Control-A to select all, and all the arrows change - but when I Alt-I on some old text, it still reverts to 3.
#66115 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:13 pm
Yeah I can confirm this too and should work as Neil suggests please :)
#66116 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:31 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:If the aspect of Smart Arrows is going to be embedded in ParaText (when you Alt-I on it), it would be good to be able globally change this embedded property.

Huh? I'm afraid I don't understand this at all. The aspect ratio of smart arrows is completely separate from text.

Josh: Could you please explain this in a step-by-step manner? Keep in mind my feeble brain.

Dave
#66119 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:41 pm
Lets say your normal arrow aspect ratio for your arrows is 5. Go to the PText menu (and I would guess the MText menu, but I haven't tested it yet) and click S2 Arrows, and "accidentally" set Aspect to say an incorrect 2500. Create a PText entity. Now go about your business working in the drawing and maybe you have copied that PText entity here and maybe over there. And maybe to 50 other places in your drawing before you realize that when you identify that PText and Set All on it to maybe set the same layer or color or text size before creating an arrow, that it is also setting your arrow aspect the incorrect size of 2500. It's not a problem that happens very often, because obviously you didn't intend for the aspect ratio to be set at 2500 but it can sneak up on you when your jamming thru a set of keystrokes and maybe one keystroke doesn't register and throws off your whole string of keystrokes and menu locations. But when it does happen it's usually long after the origin of the problem that you realize it and it spreads thru out the drawing pretty quick. There is no way (that I am aware of) to change the arrow aspect on these non-arrow entities that store the arrow aspect value that have already been created to avoid the aspect being set to 2500 again when ID/Set all-ed. Change, Text, Arrow, Aspect should do it if possible so when we do realize it, we can fix it on all the entities so we can then trust the entities again for ID/Set All.
#66120 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:59 am
This has nothing to do with arrow aspect ratio being stored in a PText entity. In the above example, you have explicitly set the smart arrow aspect ratio to 2500. The smart arrow menu is the same whether entered via the PText menu or regular Text menu. Try this:

• Go to the PText menu
  • Select S2 and accidentally set the Arrow aspect ratio to 2500
  • Create some PText
  • Go back into the Smart Arrow menu and set the Aspect to 5
  • Identify Set All the PText you created

Now check your smart arrow aspect ratio. You'll find that it's still set to 5.

Dave
#66123 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 am
Send me a drawing that exhibits this behavior with instructions as to which PText to Identity.

Dave
#66124 by joshhuggins
Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:35 pm
For the life of me I can get it to happen again :? but swear when I tested it yesterday it did as we described. Maybe it is file specific. FWIW, I tested it with PText specifically even thought I only use MText since Neil originally brought it up for that. I'll keep an eye out for it. Gotta go jam on some deadlines. Maybe Neil can get it to happen again and screen cap it. I swear we are not THAT crazy :roll: :D
#66126 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:58 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:When / if it happens again, I will send in the file.

I'd appreciate that as I can't fathom as to how this could be happening.

Dave
#66127 by Roger D
Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:02 am
Must be one of those:
"Providing thoughtfully crafted, software bugs to the DataCAD community since 1984."

and why my signature has:
abUsing Datacad since 1986
:lol:
#66132 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:21 pm
So it would appear that this was caused by doing an Identify/Set All on an Associative Dimension, not a PText/MText entity. As I told Neil, Arrows, Smart Arrows and Associative Dimensions all share a common Aspect Ratio system setting.

Dave