Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#66768 by ROBERT PENN
Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:00 am
I have just had to put a new SSD drive into my old desktop computer.
I am finding that the text in my drawings seem to have "extended" even though the "aspect" value has not changed. So some of the Paratext is wrapping down into another line, and sometimes over other text or linework. When I load the same drawing onto my laptop, it looks as it should - and as it did on the old desktop drive, but on the new desktop drive it is changing. Is there a setting I have overlooked that may have caused this anomally?
Any ideas would be welcome.
#66769 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:05 am
Different windows versions? Missing font on new system?
#66770 by ROBERT PENN
Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:16 am
Hi Josh,

I have copied all the fonts from my laptop to the new desktop drive, so the fonts should be the same.
Windows on the laptop is Win 7 Home, on the new desktop it is Win 7 (X64) Pro SP1 - exactly the same as the previous drive.

Any other ideas?
#66773 by jimgoodman
Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:03 am
How about the Windows fonts?
Identify the text and make sure the font name is the same on both computers.
#66778 by ROBERT PENN
Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:59 pm
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your response.

I had already checked the windows fonts, in fact I copied all the fonts from the laptop to the desktop to make sure that they were all the same.
I have uploaded some images.
The first image is the image from the new drive.
The second image is from the original drive and laptop.
It doesn't seem to limited to one font. Both these fonts are Truetype fonts (Arial and Stylus BT).
I'm not sure what is happening. Do I need to reload Datacad again and see if it fixes the problem?
Attachments
NEW DRIVE 07-08-2015.jpg
New image on new drive
NEW DRIVE 07-08-2015.jpg (95.03 KiB) Viewed 11307 times
LAPTOP DRIVE AND ORIGINAL DRIVE 07-08-2015.jpg
Original image
LAPTOP DRIVE AND ORIGINAL DRIVE 07-08-2015.jpg (90.5 KiB) Viewed 11307 times
#66779 by Roger D
Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:25 pm
are you sure the font directory path is to the correct font directory?
Just a thought.
#66780 by Paul Nida
Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:32 pm
I would uninstall the two True Type fonts and remove them from the new hard drive and then reinstall them from the laptop.
#66781 by MtnArch
Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 pm
I'd follow Paul's advice - it looks as if the original font on the laptop has the same NAME but is not the same FILE. If you are using a "system font" our good friend Windoze will NOT allow you to copy an older version over the newer file (as far as I know) - and you'll end up with the fonts saying they are the same but in fact are NOT the same.
#66782 by ROBERT PENN
Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:47 pm
Thank you everyone for your advice,

When I originally loaded Datacad the fonts were defaulting to the "Romans" type as per the default setting in the "Program Preferences", at which point I realised that the truetype fonts I had used in the past were not in the new windows set up. I then copied all the fonts from my laptop to the new windows drive (C/windows/font). After I had done this and re-opened datacad, the truetype fonts were then showing up in the drawing as expected, albeit with the "stretched aspect".
I still don't know what is causing this to happen. Do you have to "install" the truetype fonts? Or is it ok to just copy the font files from the laptop into the relevant folder (as I have done)?
#66783 by MtnArch
Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:41 am
Gut guess is that you'll need to "install" the ones from your laptop.
#66784 by ROBERT PENN
Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:56 am
OK!!

So I am still trying to sort this problem out!
What I have managed to determine is that this is probably more a Windows issue than a Datacad issue.
I have managed to get Datacad 16 up and running on the new drive and the same issue appears to be happening. So I think (?) this eliminates Datacad 17 as being the cause.
I have tried to re-install the fonts (in windows) and there has been no improvement. I am now at a loss as to what to look for.
Are there any Windows guru's out there that can point me in the right direction?
It's not going to work for me to have one display on the desktop looking different to a different display of the same drawing on the laptop. Affects my printing and drawing layouts depending on which computer I print from.
#66785 by ROBERT PENN
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:00 am
MtnArch wrote:Gut guess is that you'll need to "install" the ones from your laptop.

Hi there,

I have tried to copy the files and placing them into the fonts folder and also tried "installing" the font (as described in the following link, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 8720a9abd0), all to no avail. :-(
#66786 by ROBERT PENN
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:15 am
Yeeehhhh!!!!

I have found the solution!!

I have had to change the text size within Windows to get back to normal.

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display, then change the text size from Medium to Small, fixed the problem. Interestingly the small setting is labelled as the default setting, so I don't know why it was set to Medium.

Thanks for everyone's input. I can now get on and do some productive paying work. :D