Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#66862 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:55 pm
Tracker PDF XChange user here too, using the newer XChange Editor which is kind of the next version of the viewer with more features for free. It's still free, but has a pay option for some premium features, which are worth the upgrade if you spend much time working with PDF's. Everyone should give it a serious try, it's really powerful and well built. http://www.tracker-software.com/product ... nge-editor.
#66866 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:09 pm
Stuart Jackson wrote:Much thanks guys, as usual I'll go with the DataCad CTO's suggestion first.

Okay, but if it doesn't live up to your expectations can we blame it on Josh instead of me? 8)

Dave
#66867 by Dave
Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:04 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:
Stuart Jackson wrote:Much thanks guys, as usual I'll go with the DataCad CTO's suggestion first.

Okay, but if it doesn't live up to your expectations can we blame it on Josh instead of me? 8)

Dave

The youth these day's.... Always looking for someone to blame
#66868 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:32 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:Okay, but if it doesn't live up to your expectations can we blame it on Josh instead of me? 8)
:mrgreen:
Last edited by joshhuggins on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
#66871 by David Porter
Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:52 am
I purchased a piece of software that converts PDF to DWG. No this isn't free but I found it to pay for itself with one job. It runs $249 for one license. I purchased a double license for $349 so that I would have a copy at my office and at home.

I was skeptical at first but after using it a few times, it really does work. I then easily imported the DWG into DCAD. It is to scale and text comes in as text and not a bunch of pixels put together. I was able to quickly move different lines to the DCAD layers where I wanted them. Way easier and faster than manually inputting the info from a PDF. The only catch is that the PDF has to be a true PDF and not a PDF made from a scanned drawing. Pretty remarkable piece of software. It is on my schedule to do a review of its use and how to get a PDF into DCAD for Cheap Tricks when I get the time. The program is called Print2CAD.
#66874 by Stuart Jackson
Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:19 pm
[quote="David A. Giesselman"]I use PDF-XChange Viewer. It's free, even for commercial use.

Good call Dave,

Though it's now called PDF-xChange Editor, I downloaded the PRO version and used Export to save as PNG. Great tools, lots of resolution options. Guess I won't be using FoxIt anymore. Thanks again for the recommendation.
#66880 by Robert Scott
Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:14 pm
The OCR in the this software sounds interesting and they do promise quite a bit. I've found that digitally generated PDF (from CAD or other) are fairly easy to convert to DWG in illustrator. It's the hand drawings that are scanned that give me fits generating a billion pieces of worthless geometry. It's rare to find a hand drawings scanned perfectly "level"...even a degree off throws the whole conversion into a tizzy. Looking forward to your Cheap Trick review.

David Porter wrote:I purchased a piece of software that converts PDF to DWG. No this isn't free but I found it to pay for itself with one job. It runs $249 for one license. I purchased a double license for $349 so that I would have a copy at my office and at home.

I was skeptical at first but after using it a few times, it really does work. I then easily imported the DWG into DCAD. It is to scale and text comes in as text and not a bunch of pixels put together. I was able to quickly move different lines to the DCAD layers where I wanted them. Way easier and faster than manually inputting the info from a PDF. The only catch is that the PDF has to be a true PDF and not a PDF made from a scanned drawing. Pretty remarkable piece of software. It is on my schedule to do a review of its use and how to get a PDF into DCAD for Cheap Tricks when I get the time. The program is called Print2CAD.
#66882 by Robert Scott
Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:17 pm
Stuart Jackson wrote:Anyone have a favorite PDF to JPG converter they can recommend, freeware preferred?

Photshop CC...don't leave home without it. $9.99 per month includes Lightroom. You can thank me later :)