Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#67150 by abanov
Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:17 am
In Datacad 17, I am having problems simply saving and exiting. Occasionally, I get the error message that the "file is in use by the following user..." But there is no other user open in the office and the file has never been open on another workstation.
#67152 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:54 am
Have seen this for years, maybe since the U$R files were added to the program? It seems to usually be related to having a file open for long periods of time, and maybe not working with the file for a while, like opening the file but then leaving the office for an hour and then coming back and working on it. I never was able to nail down exactly what causes it so these are just guesses. We don't see it too often maybe 5-10 times a year per person in our office. It seems to loose track of the .U$R file or something along those lines. Most of the time no one is actually in the file, so we usually just do a save as to a new file name like adding an x to the name and then immediately using Save As again to save back over the original file and it always works. Sometimes another user is actually allowed access to the file while we were in the drawing. In that case the Save As back to the original file is not allowed as the other users access to the .U$R file has replaced our .U$R file with one of their own and we have to hunt down the user who is actually in the file now. I usually locate the actual .U$R file and check it's properties on the Details tab to see who is now in the file. Obviously this last half would not pertain to your situation abanov since the files are all local to your system, but others in networked situations might use the info. :)
Attachments
user.PNG
user.PNG (13.1 KiB) Viewed 7260 times
#67157 by abanov
Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:57 pm
Yes, that describes it exactly. It happens when I have the file open for a while without activity. I have done the same workaround to avoid losing work, but would love to know if there is a way to prevent it. Thanks for the feedback!
#67158 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:25 pm
Your welcome! I'm just glad you could confirm it's when you leave it unattended for a while as you're the first to confirm this. Everyone else just thinks I'm nuts ;). I am curious though, is the file on a local drive or a networked location?
#67178 by Ted B
Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:57 pm
I very-occasionally have this problem in Datacad; typically if I accidentally leave a .AEC-file open overnight, then "save-close" it.

I do however frequently have this same issue with Sketchup Pro 2015 when I go to re-open a file. Typically I wind-up opening the files as read-only and "save-as" as a next-generation file; m1, m2, etc... just to save time. Sometimes if I have the time, I can "restart" the PC and the problem clears, and sometimes not. I wonder if it's the same issue?