Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#67243 by Rashid Garuba
Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:35 pm
I use folders for symbols and wonder how Symbols can be re-arranged without major surgery. Most CAD programs these days have navigator panels that allow easy relocation of Symbols...

Unless you have a folder for EVERY possible set of Symbols adding a new symbol invariably ends up where I don't want it unless I have a VERY elaborate and rigid naming system. Seems a relic from a time long ago....
#67244 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:31 pm
Folders and file naming is what we use. Doesn't take much to setup and doesn't have to be elaborate, but you do have to be consistent in the file naming and just be aware of where you are when saving a symbol.

What software were you thinking of that has this easy relocation of symbols? Might be something that could/should be added.
#67246 by Rashid Garuba
Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:44 pm
Here is a screenshot... You can make new Folders, rename symbols, drag them from folder to folder... etc. like a standard directory tree. It's even fully searchable.. It's Chief Architect but most current Windows programs are like this. Datacad has some DOS remnants and I don't think it's a minor undertaking to change.
Attachments
Library Browser.png
Library Browser.png (29.14 KiB) Viewed 4489 times