Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#67674 by wvar
Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:54 pm
Is it possible to extrude the cross section of an object (eg steel section) along a, say, U shaped path? The path has sharp corners.
#67675 by joshhuggins
Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:54 pm
I think what you are looking for is the 3DTools macro's sweep feature.
Attachments
cad.PNG
cad.PNG (15.15 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
Beam.PNG
Beam.PNG (28.3 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
#67676 by wvar
Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:53 pm
Thanks Josh. That's exactly what I need. I was lucky that I found a copy in amongst my files.

Hopefully it will be included in Datacad.
#67680 by tigere
Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:25 pm
Josh - could you do a brief step by step on how you created that object. I've read it in the manual but it just doesn't "compute" ...
Thanks
Tigereaz
Roger Pingree
#67681 by joshhuggins
Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:11 pm
You create the profile shape using polygons [Red Shape]. (Tip: If your profile has lots of curves, I would create the profile using a polyline, then use Explode, To Polygons as creating curves with polygons is cumbersome). Then create a polyline that represents your path. [Green Shape]. Start the 3D Tools macro, Sweep, pick your profile shape, pick the point on the profile where the shape should travel along the path, then pick the polyline you want to use for your path.

There are different methods/entity types that you can use in each of these steps but this should help to get you started.
#67682 by tigere
Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:15 pm
So the key players are polygon shapes. I am guessing then when you picked the point for "sweep" you picked the right hand lower corner of the red object. I have never been able to get the "object"shape to close with gave me some weird results. I gave up in frustration in a blue cloud of vulgar profanity - and banished to the garage.
Thanks again Josh
#67725 by dmartens
Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:38 am
Has this feature been added to 18? If not is it still available to us poor users of 15? It would be a great addition. Thanks
Dan