Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#67650 by wvar
Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:15 pm
I have a drawing where Smart Windows wont insert into all existing smart Walls. I get a message in the command line to insert the first point of the window.
The walls have a height, so that's not a problem.
The windows will insert if I draw a new wall, the same type as the existing walls.
I can insert a Smart Door into the wall ok.
I have purged the drawing and the problem remains.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?
Attachments
Copy of the problem file
(60.23 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
#67651 by wvar
Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 pm
I think that I found the solution. Ie
Set the drawing Zb & Zh to match the wall that you want to insert the window into before inserting a Smart Window (not very smart). Strange that you dont have to change the Zs with Smart Doors and Smart Openings.
#67653 by Mark Bell
Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:08 pm
Hi Walter,

I've had this as well. Check your setting for inserting a smart window includes 'F4 At Sill' and the wall has the right height to allow the window to cut and insert itself within the wall zb-zh range. In some instances when it's being stubborn it's quicker to delete the wall, redraw a new one then insert the window.
#67724 by dmartens
Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:33 am
I am having a problem I can't seem to fix. I am trying to insert 2 smart windows on top of each other to mimic a factory mulled awning/fixed window unit. The head of the lower unit and the sill of the upper unit are the same elevation but I get a tiny sliver of smart wall showing between the units. Have tried increasing the head on one so there is a slight overlap but that didn't work. This is my first foray into smart entities and it went pretty well until I needed a mulled window. Any help from the smart entity users will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dan
#67743 by Mark Bell
Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:31 pm
Hello Dan,

I've used stacked windows as you describe before and have been able to remove this thin slither (1mm/pixel) by going into an elevation view then using the move command to move the top window down to snap onto the head of the window below.
#67747 by dmartens
Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:37 am
Hi Mark,

Tried your suggestion but for some reason it didn't work. I am still on DC15 so I don't know if that is the reason. For my lower window I have the head turned off in the window type mgr and for the upper my sill is turned off. I tried to set the sill of the upper unit just below the lower unit in the manager but that didn't work either.
What I ended up doing is creating a window with everything turned off and saved as an opening. I set the sill and head according to the two units and it cleans up nicely. I just have to remember when inserting the upper and lower units to have cut wall turned off. I turn it on to do the opening and it displays the way I want.
Side by side windows are a different story. If we could control the jambs and jamb trim for left and right side of the window separately in the window type mgr I could get the same results but for now I have to manually add the jambs/trim for proper display. Another wish list item for smart entities which I really hope DataCad will start addressing again. The smart entities seem to have been relegated to the end of the line. Still the best software money can buy. Thanks again.

Dan
#67748 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:43 am
In the [Smart Walls] section of DCADWIN.INI you'll need to set the 'New Door Window Cut' key to TRUE.

[Smart Walls]
New Door Window Cut=FALSE
New Wall ZCheck=FALSE
Auto Cap Stepped Walls=TRUE
#67763 by dmartens
Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:12 am
I added the lines to my DATACADWIN.INI and still have the problem. The head of the lower unit is the same as the sill of the upper unit. Tried lowering the sill of the upper unit 1/8" and that just made the sliver 1/8" thicker. We don't have factory mulled windows that often so I guess I can just do my work around for now. But I have to say even though the exterior walls are all I really need to produce a 3D model I am finding using smart entities for all the walls to be a big time saver. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Dan