Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#67796 by dmartens
Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:52 pm
Finally got my first plan done using smart entities. Now I am trying to create elevations based on my exterior smart walls. Once I figured out how to do a 3D clip cube I was able to isolate the exterior walls and do a hide in a parallel view. The hide ended up taking 4 minutes to finish because all of the 2D entities in my 2D/3D symbols that were outside the clip cube ended up showing along the floor line. Any ideas what I may have done wrong. This is one of the major reasons I delved into smart entities so I didn't have to create elevations from scratch. Thanks
Dan
#67797 by Roger D
Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:28 pm
All I do is go to the 3d menu, 3D Views, Elevation, pick one (front, Right, Left, Back) zoom out, Exit, Hide, Begin with Save Image, Crop Image and All on. Under Options I have Join, Delete Dbl, Ignore Color and Backface all selected.
Don't use a 3d Clip Cube.
I only have on the Exterior Layers on. Interior walls, openings, etc are on there own layers and turned off.
Hope this helps some.
#67798 by dmartens
Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:59 pm
Thanks for the reply Roger. We have all our walls on one layer. I guess we may have to change that. I thought we were supposed to be able to do it the way I described but now I'm not sure. None of the 3D stuff showed just the 2D. Is anyone else doing their elevations this way? Thank you
Dan
#67799 by Roger D
Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:10 pm
With the interior items on other layers turned off, the hide process does not have to look at those items and makes the hide process quicker.
If your smart entities all have the correct z-base/heights, one should be able to follow my process to get elevations.
Maybe the settings on the 3d cube need to be modified so you can see the elevations.
#67800 by dmartens
Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:57 am
Thanks Roger. I didn't quite explain what I did correctly. I have a plan with smart entities and 2D/3D symbols. I used the 3D clip cube to isolate the exterior wall and not include the symbols so as to speed up the hide. The problem is that the hide is still seeing just the 2D layers in my symbols and not the 3D layers even though the symbols are outside the clip cube. The symbols are unexploded. I was wondering why it is hiding parts of symbols outside the clip cube. The rest of the elevation looked fine. I wasn't sure if this was a bug that has been addressed or not. I will have to look into 3D clip cubes again and see what I am doing wrong. Thanks again for your help.
Dan
#67814 by dmartens
Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:12 am
So this morning I tried putting exterior walls on separate layer from interior walls like Roger does and now my interior walls won't clean to the exterior walls. My z heights are the same (using z by layer) and have checked all other settings but can't get them to clean. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Dan
#67815 by Roger D
Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:38 am
That is the one issue with having smart walls on different layers, is that you need to manually do the "T" intersection command on the the walls.
#67817 by dmartens
Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:01 am
That is unacceptable. This is supposed to streamline the process but now I guess I will need another workaround to get this to work. This is becoming very frustrating. The AEC modeler is looking better every day now. Thanks once again Roger.
Dan