Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#68375 by BEMArchitect
Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:10 pm
Are the DC18 files that are xported to DWGS imported easier and clearer into AutoCAD? There has always been text issues with my engineers importing DWGS from DC10.
If anyone has any advice to make the import smoother/easier into AutoCAD, I would appreciate it.

Just for anyone who reads this message, this forum and the help I received from a few people when using the trial version of DC18, was the deciding factor that convinced me to upgrade...thanks!
#68377 by Mark Bell
Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:22 pm
FWIW we haven't had a request from a subconsultant or builder about the dwg files for years and they've all been able to import the DataCAD exported dwg files, including the bind-MSP files. In most cases an accompanying SHX font file is created with the DWG. We've also received returned subconsultant drawings that include some of our export files and the text is correct but in a number of cases the text size varies. I get the feeling the font size/aspect as displayed in DataCAD isn't always carried through or imported the same at the other end?
#68378 by joshhuggins
Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:26 pm
Plain SHX text is usually pretty close (95-100%, depending on the font used) with Aspect ratio and slight sizing issue like Mr. Bell mentioned, but MText is a whole other animal. I have never had a plan export correctly the way I expected it to with MText. Often half the text will look correct and the other half will not. I have tried cleaning up the Formatting via the Format RTF... button in the MText properties box, but that usually doesn't get it either. Thankfully usually our clients are only interest in the plans linework which always exports great, and that having the Mtext readable with a little manipulation if they need to figure out some keynotes. I never have heard any response on what causes it and if anyone has gotten it to export better. Would love to see it improved.
#68379 by MtnArch
Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:55 pm
Unless you are using an aspect ratio of 1.0 there will always be issues with the SHX font translation - if you want a skinny aspect ratio in DC it will be a fat one in AC, and vice versa. For example, for my SHX of choice I normally have an aspect ratio of 1.25 in DC but after I create the DWG I have to go into it (in BricsCAD, my AC clone of choice) and change the width to 0.85 for all of my text.
#68382 by Mark Bell
Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:36 pm
Just a thought for future upgrades to the DWG translator - incorporate this .DAT file so that users and recipients have WYSIWYG for exporting and importing DWG files and fonts.
#68383 by MtnArch
Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:51 pm
I'd hold up 4 thumbs for this one if I could!

Mark Bell wrote:Just a thought for future upgrades to the DWG translator - incorporate this .DAT file so that users and recipients have WYSIWYG for exporting and importing DWG files and fonts.