Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#69381 by cadesigner
Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:13 am
Hello DataCad Users,

what's the best way to fix the regeneration time when using the Hatch Pattern 'Gravel'?
Is there another pattern that can replace the Gravel but looks like a pourous fill?

Thanks for your help,
#69383 by MtnArch
Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:32 am
Maybe try a dotted pattern? The Sand pattern maybe?
#69481 by ORWoody
Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:27 pm
Do you mean, the density of the gravel?
If you change the scale to a larger number, that will certainly help. That may not be what you mean or what you need.
Here is another suggestion. Back in the hand drawn days, if a large area needed hatching, in order to save time, one would draw hatch only around the perimeter. The width of that hatched perimeter would be enough to define the material limits, but not take a long time to complete.
To speed up regeneration times, you could quickly draw a polyline inside the major area to be hatched. Make it a void in the hatch and hide the edges for a random effect.
Also, be sure that the hatch is associative to keep it from being a million tiny circles.
Good luck,
#69482 by joshhuggins
Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:39 pm
I have some free hatch patterns on my site that might work in place of the one your using. If that is the gravel pattern I think it is, it's really slow to draw to the screen.
http://joshhuggins.com/product/joshs-hatch-freebees/
#69483 by tigere
Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:32 pm
I know what he's talking about. Even just rolling over it can set off a delay in operations while it loads. It seems the default setting is set to "low". If it could default load higher and then be brought back down to a denser setting would seem to help. Is that possible? It happens on a couple of other patterns as well.
#69484 by MtnArch
Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:38 am
Hit the "End" key and it will stop regenerating so you can pick a different scale.
#69489 by ORWoody
Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:03 am
What hasn't been discussed is how easy it is to rectify the original problem in DataCAD.
Just change the scale for the pattern.
Go into Gravel.DHP and change the two scale callouts from 1 to 25. Instantly, all is well.

Use Notepad to open the file and make the first section read like this....

[Header]
Scale=25
Angle=0
Display Scale=25
Segments=417

When your cursor passes over the graphic, it will be an instant re-draw.
Have fun.
Woody
#69490 by ORWoody
Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:23 am
I think that one can change only the first line that calls for scale and that will fix the redraw time. The second reference to scale controls the size of the pattern as drawn.

If you like that improvement, go to Rattan and watch it crank on the draw. Change line 1 to 25.

Go to Stars and change it to 750.

Both of them are too dense to see the pattern until after the change. Then, all is well.

Isn't DataCAD wonderful?

Woody