Forum dedicated to drawing translation issues.
#66995 by rdberry
Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:18 pm
I am using dcad v15 and it will not open up the newer version of autocad.
Is there an update for v15 that will do this or is this option only available
for the newer datacad versions?
TIA
Robert "Butch" Berry
Architect
Eureka Springs, AR
#66997 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:25 pm
DataCAD v15 would only open its contemporary versions of DWG files. To open anything newer, you will need to upgrade or find a way to have the DWG file saved in an older format.

Dave
#69413 by Mark Wilhelm
Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:24 pm
David,
Lately I've been getting .dwg files from my structural engineer that won't open in DC18. The engineer's files are created in a recent version of AC LT. I'm not sure, but don't think they are using a modified/"desktop" front end for their AC. Trying to open their files results in DC opening a default drawing, empty of any entities, without going through the normal translation options pane. I have opened the files in Autodesk's TrueView app, and have converted them down to AC2004 .dwg, even to .dxf, and those files will open in my copy of AC2006, but not in DC18. Our current student intern has Rhino on her laptop, and we have been able to open the files from the engineer in Rhino and resave them in AC .dwg format, and I can open those files in DC18 without a hitch. Unfortunately, she is going to leave us in August and I'll lose my translation capability. Have you any idea why this s happening? Any chance for a fix? I'd be happy to send you a file.....

Thanks,
Mark
#69416 by MtnArch
Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:44 pm
This may be the result of Acad using some proxies (not sure what exactly they are, but they won't show up when you translate the file). Try having the "en-gun-ear" explode all entities and send you that DWG file - at least as a way of trying to narrow down whether they are using some sort of 3rd party add-on or goofy blocks that someone conjured up.